Problem Does anyone else have to turn mill off to load a program?

Thread: Does anyone else have to turn mill off to load a program?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Does anyone else have to turn mill off to load a program?

I have a made in 2000 year VF-0E Haas Mill and frequently I have to cut the mill off completely for it to see my USB drive. It has had several new USB drives installed, on a brand new one now. Also new thumb drives also. Same thing, insert thumb drive cannot see any files, turn it off, now see the list of files. Haas tech man says my main software is obsolete and no upgrades are available. I am on a university campus, in research, so it is not a high hour production mill. I wondered if anyone else has this problem or maybe has fixed this issue, thank you, Paul

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Does anyone else have to turn mill off to load a program?

...I'm not a Haas owner but, bad grounding like Paint between the RS232 plug and/or grounding wire lug, unshielded or bad routing of wiring near RF/EMI noise possible. There are other ways to Network your machine. RS232 to IP converter is one of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ncpapaul View Post
    I have a made in 2000 year VF-0E Haas Mill and frequently I have to cut the mill off completely for it to see my USB drive. It has had several new USB drives installed, on a brand new one now. Also new thumb drives also. Same thing, insert thumb drive cannot see any files, turn it off, now see the list of files. Haas tech man says my main software is obsolete and no upgrades are available. I am on a university campus, in research, so it is not a high hour production mill. I wondered if anyone else has this problem or maybe has fixed this issue, thank you, Paul
    Yes, this can be a common problem it is not the machine USB, but the drive you are using I use SanDisk drives that has a metal body, Ground it by touching a screw on the control with it, before you insert it, and you won't have any more problems, when taking a drive from a computer it can be in a charged state so when you insert it into the control, it will fault the drive, snip attached is the best I have found it has never failed for a few years now, just remember to ground it before you insert it, you can get them at Walmart.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else have to turn mill off to load a program?-scandisk-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes, this can be a common problem it is not the machine USB, but the drive you are using I use SanDisk drives that has a metal body, Ground it by touching a screw on the control with it, before you insert it, and you won't have any more problems, when taking a drive from a computer it can be in a charged state so when you insert it into the control, it will fault the drive, snip attached is the best I have found it has never failed for a few years now, just remember to ground it before you insert it, you can get them at Walmart.
    You might just have something there. I tried touching my drive (Ultra 2.0 Swivel) just now to discharge any current and it worked as it supposed to. We've had this random issue for 2 years at least and none of us, nor HAAS, ever thought of that. And I have a building full of computer geeks here. I'll keep trying it, thank you very much, Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ncpapaul View Post
    You might just have something there. I tried touching my drive (Ultra 2.0 Swivel) just now to discharge any current and it worked as it supposed to. We've had this random issue for 2 years at least and none of us, nor HAAS, ever thought of that. And I have a building full of computer geeks here. I'll keep trying it, thank you very much, Paul
    It's just a static spike that you can get when changing from a computer to a machine like you are doing, I was having the same problem on even newer machines, I just did this and have never had it happen since, computer guys would not think of this, unless they build computer, for machine controls. some of the Haas people know because I have told them

Another problem is If the Thumb drive does not show up on the screen, take it out, Ground it again and put it back in and it should be there, I think this is more of a compatibility problem when this happens

Mactec54