Newbie 3rd party probe for Haas Mini mill

Thread: 3rd party probe for Haas Mini mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3rd party probe for Haas Mini mill

Hi all,

My research lab has a 2019 model Haas mini mill with next generation control. A Haas wireless probe isn't in our budget for this year, but I'm wondering if there are any more cost effective 3rd party probes that would work with the haas control? I'm particularly interested in using the probe for surface mapping , to be able to engrave on irregular surfaces. Ultimate accuracy isn't super important - within a few thousandths would be reasonable.

I posted this on another forum, and drewtronics was suggested. But, looking on their website, all of their products lines are "out of stock"... Any other options?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3rd party probe for Haas Mini mill

hy leeko a wireless probe may have issues with tilted surfaces: for example if you probe xy plane is ok, but if that plane will be tilted, then the probe may help detecting tilt angle, but not also real touch off positions; in other words, if your surface, for example, is a sine wave, a normal probe won't be accurate, unless for the peaks ( high and low )

a probe that can handle accurately such tilted surfaces is ++$$ compared to a normal one, and/or may need a next level software; thus not only the best, but also some basic probes can do it, but this functionality comes with extra cost; so if you got a normal cnc + a probe, and sudenly you wish to go full 3d, only a software update may be enough

as a conclusion, for complex surfaces, is needed an option, called "cosine vector detection" / "real 3d measurement" / etc, and this option may come as a software update for a normal probe, or toghether with a new probe; this topic is rarely discused, because most in machine measurements are not real3d

surface mapping
    this can be done without probes, but a simple dial indicator, or 3d taster can do it : slower, because it can not print data, thus you will need to get data yourself

a probe does things automaticaly, while with a dial/taster it is required to spent time for touch off, write values, and so on

there is an inbetween method, like using dials/tasters that transmit data, so you only do the touch off, and get data automatically ( from the dial ); it also helps to have a macro that can detect cnc position ( so to get data from the machine also )

for mapping, is needed 3 coodinates :
    ... dial/taster will deliver only 1 coordinate ( this can be automatized if instrument can transmit data )
    ... other 2 comes from the machine ( this can be automatized if cnc can transmit data; for example, if your machine is at a random position, can it print that to a file, or to a common variable, etc, and at the end, you should get that file from the machine )

there is a method to avoid the need of getting data from machine; is not like you no longer will need that data, only that you won't be using the machine for this task; is needed an instrument with data transmision: not on request, but continouly; pls check video below

you simply scan your surface at constant speed, then use data to recreate surface inside a pc; for accuracy, you can repeat scaning, or pair cnc speed with instrument accuracy; as you can see, there are solutions, and i think that is possible for you to implement a low cost method that delivers high accuracy for some mapping tasks, this method is way faster than using a probe

last but not least, there are engraving holders that deliver constant depth on uneven surfaces; pls check attached / kindly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd party probe for Haas Mini mill-untitled-png  
    Last edited by deadlykitten; 12-18-2021 at 03:44 AM.
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

I have been looking at these probes as more cost effective alternatives to the more common industrial offerings.
    https://hallmarkdesign.co.nz/probe

Downloads
    Uploads

I might be wrong but I think you need the macro option to use a third party probe with NGC control.

Downloads
    Uploads

hy leeko i was going to sugest to try to contact drewtonics, even if website shows some products out of stock; who knows ?

also, after checking link shared by tmtoronto, i think that at halmark design you may find quicker responses, thus you may get in touch faster with someone who knows

there may be more providers for such low cost probes / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

I will add that Cliff at Hallmark Design was very quick to answer all my questions re the probe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Given me lots of avenues to look at and alternative methods - thanks again!

Lee

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Just so you see the wiring diagram and if you'll use the user Mcode relays (assume it has one?) . Just some 411

**Page 55 starts the I/O bd. Page 62, P22 is Skip plug. Page 74 shows the Probe wiring w/ the User Mcode relay board. Never noticed this diagram before. A keeper! It looks like the way I did mine.**
    You can see wiring and cable diagrams (although they may not correspond exactly to your machine) here:
    https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam/...ual---2011.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

hello recently, i stated thinking of adding a low cost probe to a okuma lathe, inside a toolholder, for in cycle measurements, etc

besides players like renishaw/$$$, who else is there ? kindly