Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?

Thread: Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?

Default Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?

I have a new (2020) VF2 that we initially put in my garage shop. My rotary isn't working right, the power here sucks, and I've decided to cut losses and rent a new shop with 200A 3-phase nearby.

Unfortunately my Z-axis head is all the way up at the toolchange height, so I absolutely need that spindle back down at the shipping height (with the cradle under the head) to get it out the door and to drive it down the road. So my question is, knowing that the MiniMill and TM can run on single-phase, is there an easy way to hook up just the standard two single phase legs from my panel to the control cabinet in the same way, turn on the machine, and hand jog the spindle down into the red cradle?

I would love to just experiment with it, but then I have a lot of disconnecting to do from the current 3-phase setup, so I'm seeking some feedback before I even attempt. I could also see the cabinet or the control really reacting badly if I try it on a 3-ph only machine. There's obviously no documentation on how to do this that I've found (as why would anyone ever want to move the axis without also running the spindle ) So wondering if anyone happens to know what would happen. Does it just detect a lack of voltage on one leg and shut down?

I'll also be trying to contact Haas about this, but would like to know if this is a no-brainer thing I'm overthinking.

Another backup is take my 3hp 3-ph manual lathe motor and make a rudimentary RPC out of it (I currently run that on a VFD). I figure a 3hp idler would be cake to run with some scavenged caps on a breadboard, and put out enough power to get the machine to turn on and move the axis around. But that's also a bit of a project.

Lastly might be able to rent a 3-phase generator somehow for an hour. Not sure who around here would have such a thing.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBirdScott View Post
    I have a new (2020) VF2 that we initially put in my garage shop. My rotary isn't working right, the power here sucks, and I've decided to cut losses and rent a new shop with 200A 3-phase nearby.

Unfortunately my Z-axis head is all the way up at the toolchange height, so I absolutely need that spindle back down at the shipping height (with the cradle under the head) to get it out the door and to drive it down the road. So my question is, knowing that the MiniMill and TM can run on single-phase, is there an easy way to hook up just the standard two single phase legs from my panel to the control cabinet in the same way, turn on the machine, and hand jog the spindle down into the red cradle?

I would love to just experiment with it, but then I have a lot of disconnecting to do from the current 3-phase setup, so I'm seeking some feedback before I even attempt. I could also see the cabinet or the control really reacting badly if I try it on a 3-ph only machine. There's obviously no documentation on how to do this that I've found (as why would anyone ever want to move the axis without also running the spindle ) So wondering if anyone happens to know what would happen. Does it just detect a lack of voltage on one leg and shut down?

I'll also be trying to contact Haas about this, but would like to know if this is a no-brainer thing I'm overthinking.

Another backup is take my 3hp 3-ph manual lathe motor and make a rudimentary RPC out of it (I currently run that on a VFD). I figure a 3hp idler would be cake to run with some scavenged caps on a breadboard, and put out enough power to get the machine to turn on and move the axis around. But that's also a bit of a project.

Lastly might be able to rent a 3-phase generator somehow for an hour. Not sure who around here would have such a thing.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    No you could not use your lathe motor as an idler as it is run by a VFD Drive that will damage the Haas what is the Haas spindle size this will determine if you can connect your machine up to your 240v single phase or not

You could remove the Servo Motor from the Z axis put some 4x 2 you need to stack them up may be 2 or 3 on the table first, as the head may drop by it's self if it does not drop by it's self then you could wind it down by the coupling

Mactec54

If I was pulling the lathe motor I would not use the VFD, i'd just use it as an idler as anyone else does. But after doing the math that little 3hp lathe still won't barely put out the amps to turn the haas on at idle amps.

Talked to someone with the HFO and looks like the vector drive is the problem on the VF2 vs the TM machines. So single phase is a non-starter. I don't want to spend my week digging into that further.

I might be able to totally tear apart my RPC and get it spinning but it's risky.

At this rate, I found a local equipment rental place 30min away that can get me a 25kva 3-phase trailer generator for half-day rate under $200 so I'm probably going to just do that. Hardest part will be making up a plug wire from my load center to the driveway.

To disconnect the servo from the coupling, what is required? It looks like I'd have to take half the sheetmetal off the top to get full access.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleBirdScott View Post
    To disconnect the servo from the coupling, what is required? It looks like I'd have to take half the sheetmetal off the top to get full access.
    All you have to do is supply a voltage to the Brake on the servo this may be your easiest way to get it to move depending on what model servo they are using on your machine the main power cable on the newer Yaskawa motors has the brake connection on the older round plug it is in the encoder cable so you have to be careful that you get the right pins or you will damage the encoder 24v Dc is required to release the brake there may be an easy connection if you follow the cables you will find which wires connect to a 24v supply these snips are just a guide what to look for

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?-brake-wiring-png   Moving shops, Can I move VF2 servos on 1-phase?-brake-wiring-2-png  
    Mactec54

Ah very interesting. Thanks. I'll look into that. I do recall the servo having a few separate cables going into it so easy to check. I'm assuming even with the brake off it won't barely want to move unless it gets some coaxing. Which would mean either turning the ballshaft with the way covers removed or pushing down with some force.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you open brake, Z Axis drop. so You must support Z axis before you open the brake