Need Help! What board is the RS-232 function on?

Thread: What board is the RS-232 function on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What board is the RS-232 function on?

I have a 1996 VF-2 that will not send programs back to the computer. It was that way since the day I got it about 5 years ago. I would like to get this fixed and I want to know what board the RS-232 function is on.

It receives programs fine, but when you attempt to send, it beeps but nothing gets sent or maybe a few characters. To save a program I have to send it to the floppy drive and take it to the computer by hand.

Can someone tell me please?

Thanks in advance----Mike

Similar Threads:
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What board is the RS-232 function on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Why are you sending me to a BobCad site to fund out what board it is on, they know nothing about Haas electronics. I have been running Haas mills for thirty years, I know how to hook them up and do all of my own repairs, have not seen a Haas tech since about 1998. What BOARD is the RS-232 electronics on?

Thanks---Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Why are you sending me to a BobCad site to fund out what board it is on, they know nothing about Haas electronics. I have been running Haas mills for thirty years, I know how to hook them up and do all of my own repairs, have not seen a Haas tech since about 1998. What BOARD is the RS-232 electronics on?

Thanks---Mike
    There is no need to be rude, I would have thought someone with your apparent experience would be fully aware of what board the RS232 is on!

Before blaming the machine make sure your RS232 setting are the same on both the machine and whatever your using to send and receive programs.
    If everything is ok and you do suspect a faulty board it's on the other side of the connector you plug into on the electrical cabinet. A machine of that vintage should have 2, try swopping the boards around.

Graeme

Downloads
    Uploads

Obviously, based on the answers I am receiving, I am unable to properly explain the problem. So please disregard this thread, since I am not able to delete it.

Thanks--Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

If you think the problem is on the hardware side, look for an RS-232 driver (or driver/receiver) chip. In the equipment of that vintage, it could be something like MC1488 (also known as SN75188).

Downloads
    Uploads

...So much for the easy fix if all the Parameters are set correctly. Looks like the RS232 chip is on the main board. Here is link to someone with VF-3 that might be what you are looking for.
    Old HAAS VF-3 Serial Port Repair – JimK3038

DJ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    If you think the problem is on the hardware side, look for an RS-232 driver (or driver/receiver) chip. In the equipment of that vintage, it could be something like MC1488 (also known as SN75188).
    maybe its the Dallas module causing the drain or battery side of things..from my research 10years unpower was max life.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What board is the RS-232 function on?-vf3-rs232-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    maybe its the Dallas module causing the drain or battery side of things..from my research 10years unpower was max life.
    I think the corruption of CMOS data would cause many more problems, not just loss of RS-232 communication. But yes, the battery does need to be checked if it hasn't been replaced within the last few years.