HAAS WarmUp-N-Check

Thread: HAAS WarmUp-N-Check

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAAS WarmUp-N-Check

I've written, what I think, is a pretty cool little HAAS warm-up and check program for newer style HAAS mills that also have a Renishaw probe. I started this after my Renishaw probe system fell out of calibration and I didn't know it. (Made for a bad couple of days!) Plus, my spindle has always made funny noises in the morning which keeps me nervous all of the time.

So, here is a list of stuff my WarmUp-N-Check program does:

* Uses DPRNT statements to log: Date and time, Machine On Time, Program Time, and Cycle Time. This is handy just to keep a running record of the machine usage. The DPRNT output typically looks like:

705CNC WarmUp-N-Check
    HMS: 80259 YMD: 200423
    Power On Time HM: 1039:8
    Cycle On Time HM: 168:34
    Feed Time HM: 126:55
    Probe Length: Measured:5.4476 Expected:5.4477
    Probe to Bed: Measured:-19.9468 Expected:-19.9468
    Setter Dia: Measured:.4981 Expected:.4980
    WarmUp-N-Check Completed Successful

* Runs the spindle at six different speeds. During each speed step the spindle load is checked once per second against an upper limit. If the load exceeds the limit an alarm message is thrown. For example, at 15,000 RPM my empty spindle is humming away at 16% load. I've got the limit set for 18%. Who knows, maybe someday this will catch a failing spindle BEFORE something really bad happens.

* Coolant level is checked to make sure it's above a certain amount. I've got my limit set to 50%. Again, if lower than X amount an alarm is thrown.

* The Renishaw touch probe length is then measured on the tool setter. The length is compared against what I expect the length to be. A +/- tolerance is applied and an alarm is throw if out of spec.

* The probe is then moved over just in front of the tool setter to measure the bed height. The returned value is compared to an expected value.

* Last check, the touch probe is used to measure the tool setter's button diameter. Again, the returned value is checked against an expected value.

I've tried to add a lot of DPRNT statements to the program. So, for example, if something is going to fail and cause an alarm, first a DPRNT message is used to indicate what was the expected value and what was the measured value. I also use variables #188 and #189 a lot in the program. Like most people, I've got these two mapped to display on the screen all the time. I use them for things like displaying the down counting time while inside a warm-up step. Lets you see how much time remains until the next step.

So that's it. Make it through all that and your rewarded with an image on the screen of success! It all takes about 20 minutes with the way I have it setup for my machine. By the way, I've made every attempt NOT to disturb existing G54 numbers and tool offsets even though I'm using the tool setter and touch probe. Values are saved before probing and then restored after.

There are a ton of comments in the code. This should help folks modify the code for their machine and their liking. Anyway, in my view, this is what a warm-up program should look like. Your mileage (and opinion) my vary.

Hope this helps...

Oh, and here is a video of my talking about the 'Warm-Up N Check' program: