Need Help! The Haas desktop mill.

Thread: The Haas desktop mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Haas desktop mill.

The Haas Desktop Mill is a portable CNC machine geared toward the education and hobbyist market. It is perfect for learning the fundamentals of CNC programming, right on the industry-leading Haas control. Operate and program a fully functioning Haas CNC machine, right on your desktop.

https://www.haascnc.com/machines/ver...ktop-mill.html

Link to video:

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The Haas desktop mill.

$500 CNC router with brushless servos and haas control... let's rethink this!

Downloads
    Uploads

what does a Haas control system cost?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Its described as a mill but can only cut plastic and wax? and it looks like all the other small chinese routers out there. Haas could do better? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

buy the toy machine just for the control?

Downloads
    Uploads

IIRC, the expected price tag for this is about $9k. That's a lot of money just for a controller.

This is primarily a learning tool for those who want to program Haas machines offline, with a toy machine attached so that something actually moves. So the target market is education and industrial training centres.

Anyone who buys this for its machining capability would need to have their head examined and their bank account supervised.

Yeah, it's funny that the mill is so underwhelming (even for education purposes), but obviously the point of this is to learn the control, not make parts for customers. So in that regard, it makes sense. And when it gets crashed it's going to crash easy, be repaired easily, and be cheap to repair even if there is damage. So that's a win.

Downloads
    Uploads

they've been selling the control units for years now , so that students can create and simulate their programs on a haas control . Adding a small machine will give educators and students real life practice of running their programs on a compact machine in a typically small lab
    Regardless of what we may think of such toys in practicality - haas will sell piles of these and haas will come out winning . Also if a facility feels the need for larger machines then it's not a long shot to guess that it'll be haas machines .
    I think it's smart marketing

Downloads
    Uploads

Weird.
    The idea is good, but why *that* machine? Haas knows how to make good machines, surely for a similar price, or just a few hundred more they could have built a more functional machine that more resembled the ones they sell. This machine looks worse than virtually every $500 kit on the market.

Such a strange choice.

"IIRC, the expected price tag for this is about $9k. That's a lot of money just for a controller."

Siemens 828d with 3 servos costs about that. So, the price is "fair" i guess, but they should have attached it to something more thought out.

Downloads
    Uploads

While it true that is could be a 3040 from ebay, I have come to realize that most machines will cute and do what you ask of them as long as your run they properly and not push them beyond their limit.
    a nomad or bantam tools mill can cut alum, This Haas looks actually more rigid.

The other thing I have realized is that many time you pay ($$) for things to just work out of the box. When I owned by last two CNC machines, I had to thinker with them quick a bit and that look a lot of time project time and energy. In short something it make sense to just pay the fee and have something you can use right off the bat.

If it was something closer to the Tormach 440/770 and it was under $20k, they would move actual numbers instead of this. Not only would such a machine have actual use outside of strictly classrooms, they'd be training people on something that more closely resembles their bread and butter product line in terms of motion and workholding.

I know there's a lot of people who would currently be looking at the Tormach/Syil machines that would go for such a unit. And then it would be only a matter of time before those people eventually outgrow it and jump into the Mini Mill or TM, or skip up to a VF.

It's not like Haas doesn't have small units; the Chucker lathe, their CM-1, etc.

But the CM-1 is by no means an entry-level machine. It's a 30k rpm spindle. I'm thinking more like a 2-3hp 10k spindle. And so-on.

But definitely it would potentially undercut some percentage of their Mini Mill sales. Not a huge amount, but it would affect it some. And the time to build them probably doesn't get much less than the time to build a mini-mill or what-not so it won't be able to be too terribly inexpensive. So I can see why they probably wouldn't want to.

Downloads
    Uploads

most school mills won't see much beyond machinable wax and heavy iron eats up space and is overkill in that kind of learning environment . Damage costs would be far less on a tiny machine like that vs a larger mill . Damage vs budget on a larger mill may mean that a machine is down till next yrs budget can pay the repairs . I know of local high school machines that have been down for years because they can't afford the repair costs
    Companies like this don't pull things out of their hats without doing their market research first

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    Companies like this don't pull things out of their hats without doing their market research first
    Tormach 440 is not heavy iron, not any larger than this. The IDEA is right, the execution is horrific is all.

In reality, thinking back to a gentleman I know who just purchased one for his school, the Mini Mill EDU is right on at 21k and isn't really all that much bigger than a Tormach 1100 anyway. (But it definitely is a bit larger.) So you'd need an educational unit to be significantly smaller/cheaper to make than the Mini Mill for it to be really viable. So that's where the desktop is definitely in that smaller, 3D printer type category of size. But it's definitely a little too small and different IMO from the verticals. I think a Haas version of the 440 would have been really interesting. It could technically be a desktop unit but likely would have a roll-around stand.

Might be a good project for an Industrial Design student to imagine what it might look like.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    Tormach 440 is not heavy iron, not any larger than this. The IDEA is right, the execution is horrific is all.
    depends on how you look at it , wrap your arms around a 440 and move it into a corner out of the way . Regardless , a 440 would still be overkill when machining wax in a learning environment .
    They already offer TM and mini mills at a discount to educators , so it's not like they don't have that market cornered already . Obviously there is a desire and a need for these tiny turds or they wouldn't make them

Quote Originally Posted by jkkmobile View Post
    The Haas Desktop Mill is a portable CNC machine geared toward the education and hobbyist market. It is perfect for learning the fundamentals of CNC programming, right on the industry-leading Haas control. Operate and program a fully functioning Haas CNC machine, right on your desktop.

https://www.haascnc.com/machines/ver...ktop-mill.html

Link to video:

The controller looks like it's more expensive than the machine actually. Cool video!

Last edited by burs; 10-12-2020 at 03:29 AM.