VF2 XY are shifted ???

Thread: VF2 XY are shifted ???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VF2 XY are shifted ???

I bought a new VF2 in 2015. I run it a few hours every day. I have always been amazed as to how accurate it is. I have a Renishaw probe, it makes setups fast and fun. It is also extremely accurate.
    I setup a job today, and it cut exactly as I expected. I setup for opposite side parts, used the probe and the same method, and my parts were off by 010 in X, and by .050 in Y.

This has to be the program, the probe, or the machine. I created several new test programs to verify cuts, and got the same results. On my CAM program, the XY is directly on the corner of the part.
    The tool path looks symmetrical around the part. I re-calibrated the probe, and checked it with an edge finder. It is right on. I set the Y axis on the solid vise jaw, and program an .080 cut on all sides of a square block of aluminum.
    One side comes out .030, the other .130 WTF. Y is shifted by .050... I made a new program, verified the XY on the part with an edge finder, same result, cut is off by approx. .010 and .050.

How could my machine lose its XY setting accuracy, and now there is nothing I can do to make it right.? I use the edge finder, move in by half the diameter, set Y, and it cuts off by .050,
    I believe I have verified the program, and the probe. I don't know how to check the machine, or how to fix it.

Any ideas???

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VF2 XY are shifted ???

Would you mind posting the probe program so we can review?

Dean

Sent from my SM-J737R4 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Is your g52 0? I learned this the hard way, renishaw s0 sets g52.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you guys are on the right track here. Thanks for the input. G52? I use the probe program that is in the mill, so I never set anything in the probe routine.
    Here is what happened. A week ago, I broke the probe tip. Replaced it with a new one and used a ring gauge to calibrate the new tip. When I started having problems, I checked the probe edge number with an edge finder, and it was .020 off,
    So I calibrated the probe again, checked with edge finder, all good, but parts were still bad. Now I realize that I calibrated the probe, but did not check the tip for runout first. @#$%^. I'm surprised it passed the calibration.

I checked probe tip runout today, and it was way off .030 or more. Got the runout within .0005, ran a calibration again, ran parts today. Everything seems good. One more thing I learned on this site yesterday: Spindle Orientation.
    I never knew how to use that. Now when I change to the probe, I press Spindle Orientation before running the probe program. Is that how to use Spindle Orient? You can tell, I'm new at this. I worked in machine shops back in the 70''s, now 40 years later, picking it up again, and making a lot of mistakes, but learning a lot of new methods.. Thanks for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

When manually installing the probe in your spindle, it's a good idea to orient spindle. This is the orientation used during probing. We use the HAAS logo as a point of reference.

Sent from my SM-J737R4 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Orient Spindle makes a lot of sense. I can only get that probe tip within .0005 TIR, so that is the most accurate it can be. Spindle Orient solves all of that.