Need Help! I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case

Thread: I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2005 Mini Mill. It has had all the controls stripped from it. The mechanical condition looks good.

My intended use is as a hobby mill making gun and airgun one-off parts, so speed is not a concern. It has the axis and spindle motors intact, but no electrical controls for them. I had planned to do a very simple Centroid Acorn conversion and use stepper motors on the axis, and a 3 hp induction motor on the spindle. Then sell off the stock motors. But, if there are non-Haas drives that can drive them, I might just reuse the stock motors.

So, does anyone know if the spindle can be driven using a common VFD?

Also, are there any commonly available servo drives that could work with my stock axis motors and use step and direction signals from the Acorn control?

Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case

Quote Originally Posted by fusion_crank View Post
    Hi everyone. I just bought a 2005 Mini Mill. It has had all the controls stripped from it. The mechanical condition looks good.

My intended use is as a hobby mill making gun and airgun one-off parts, so speed is not a concern. It has the axis and spindle motors intact, but no electrical controls for them. I had planned to do a very simple Centroid Acorn conversion and use stepper motors on the axis, and a 3 hp induction motor on the spindle. Then sell off the stock motors. But, if there are non-Haas drives that can drive them, I might just reuse the stock motors.

So, does anyone know if the spindle can be driven using a common VFD?

Also, are there any commonly available servo drives that could work with my stock axis motors and use step and direction signals from the Acorn control?

Thanks!

Mike

No you would not and can not use a VFD Drive to drive anything other than a AC 3 Phase motor

Your axes motors are Yaskawa so are easy to Drive with there servo Drives just get the model number off the motor and I could find you the drives you need, most likely just need a Sigma II drive that suits the motor size

A stepper motor setup on a Haas I hope you where joking

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec I thought those had a 3 phase motor on the spindle?

I guess some pictures of the spindle motor and servo tags would go a long way here. Your z axis might be a different servo than the x and y (bigger with brake, maybe). Appropriate sigma drives shouldn’t be too hard to source once you identify the model #’s

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Beckham View Post
    Mactec I thought those had a 3 phase motor on the spindle?

I guess some pictures of the spindle motor and servo tags would go a long way here. Your z axis might be a different servo than the x and y (bigger with brake, maybe). Appropriate sigma drives shouldn’t be too hard to source once you identify the model #’s
    Yes they do but you can't drive a VFD Drive with another VFD Drive if he does not have any VFD Drive then Yes he would have to use a Vector Drive for there stock spindle motor

The servos are all the same size and yes the Z axis has a brake

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi again. I went to inspect the Mill today, but I couldn't get pictures of the motors. It should get delivered on Saturday, then I can collect more information after I pull the way covers. The machine itself looks pretty good, like it saw little use before it had the controls ripped out. It was purchased from a government auction. It had been used at the Redstone arsenal. The reason I think I was used little is the membrane keypad is in very good condition.
    The only component that was left in the controls box was the 320V power supply. Other than that it's as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard. The 320V power supply isn't the Vector VFD, correct?
    I also found that the ATC carousel had been gutted as well.
    Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, before they gutted the control, they left the head all the way at the top. Now, with no control, I can't just jog the head down to make it under my garage door because the Z motor has a brake. My plan was to support it with a car jack, and then disconnect the Z axis motor, then lower the head with the jack.
    My other thought was, if someone could tell me the voltage of the brake, I could apply that voltage to the cable to disengage the brake and then lower the head with the jack.
    Any other thoughts on a safe way to lower the head?
    Thanks!
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fusion_crank View Post
    Also, before they gutted the control, they left the head all the way at the top. Now, with no control, I can't just jog the head down to make it under my garage door because the Z motor has a brake. My plan was to support it with a car jack, and then disconnect the Z axis motor, then lower the head with the jack.
    My other thought was, if someone could tell me the voltage of the brake, I could apply that voltage to the cable to disengage the brake and then lower the head with the jack.
    Any other thoughts on a safe way to lower the head?
    Thanks!
    Mike

You could connect 24v for the Brake but you would have to get the right wires connected or you could damage the encoder which is 5v max if you selected the wrong cable, so the best would be to remove the servo motor put a piece of wood 6x2 on the table and lower the head down it may lower by itself so be prepared

There are 2 Brake voltages 90vDc and 24v Dc most you will find at 24v the brake wiring is in the main Power supply cable the encoder cable is a small diameter cable and a lot more wirers here is what the motor plug will look like

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I bought a Haas Mini Mill basket case-power-plug-brake-wiring-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mactec54!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to have to go without using the Yaskawa motors. I found the drives don't work with step and direction signals, and I'm not smart enough to use Linux CNC. I'm only experienced with Mach3 and Centroid Acorn. So I'll either go steppers or DMM servos.