Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems

I turned the mill and lathe in my friends garage and i am getting overvolt alarms. These machines have been wired for years and never had this problem. When i check the voltage there are 2 wires coming in that are 110 each leg and on the underside there are 3 wires that come out and the middle wire has no voltage coming out. Im assuming it takes 220 in and distributes it into 3 lines but the fact that both machines have the same alarm has me baffled. Can anyone shed light on this please? Thanks guys
    The mill is haas tm1
    Lathe is tl1

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems

Quote Originally Posted by dabularach View Post
    I turned the mill and lathe in my friends garage and i am getting overvolt alarms. These machines have been wired for years and never had this problem. When i check the voltage there are 2 wires coming in that are 110 each leg and on the underside there are 3 wires that come out and the middle wire has no voltage coming out. Im assuming it takes 220 in and distributes it into 3 lines but the fact that both machines have the same alarm has me baffled. Can anyone shed light on this please? Thanks guys
    The mill is haas tm1
    Lathe is tl1
    Take a photo of how you have the supply wired, I doubt that you have 110v all NA has 120v /240v single phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mean a pic of how the wire comes into the machine or a pic of the meter while im checking it? I will be there tomorrow again. The voltage was near 120 sorry that was my error. I posted a pic of the 2 wires coming in at the top and the 3 coming out at the bottom

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mean a pic of how the wire comes into the machine or a pic of the meter while im checking it? I will be there tomorrow again. The voltage was near 120 sorry that was my error. I posted a pic of the 2 wires coming in at the top and the 3 coming out at the bottom

Downloads
    Uploads

I didnt see a low battery alarm but i know the machine has been sitting for atleast 3 years and the breakers were off. If the battery died and lost all parameters could that be what is causing the problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

I didnt see a low battery alarm but i know the machine has been sitting for atleast 3 years and the breakers were off. If the battery died and lost all parameters could that be what is causing the problem?
    No not for a overvoltage fault your photo only of the wires coming in that is important

Check that the power supply is configured correct for the voltage you are using

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I will check later when i am there. The machine has been run and was working fine. The thing that i find odd is that both the mill and lathe are both getting the same alarm and they had both been running without any issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will check later when i am there. The machine has been run and was working fine. The thing that i find odd is that both the mill and lathe are both getting the same alarm and they had both been running without any issues.
    Yes does sound strange for them both to have the same problem, does look like it could be a power supply problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If the incoming voltage is slightly different now than it was when last run could the jumper just need to be changed
    1 says up to 220 and the other says 220 and over if i remember correctly

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked the voltage
    The 2 wires coming in are 119v each
    On the out side the wires on each end have 119 coming out but the middle wire has no power

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked the voltage
    The 2 wires coming in are 119v each
    On the out side the wires on each end have 119 coming out but the middle wire has no power
    You are running single phase 240v so the center wire is not meant to have any power, yes you could change the jumper as you may be getting an inrush that is causing the alarm

There may be 2 power supplies that you need to check both of the jumpers are correct for 240v or above

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I am heading back to look at the machines today. So if the incoming voltage is good on both wires it must be something with the machines. Its just wierd that both have the same problem and they have been sitting. So a dead battery wouldnt cause this? I dont know what else to check. If there was a power surge it shouldnt have effected the machines because both breakers were off. Anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a fuse on the power supply?

Downloads
    Uploads

Consider that the power company could have retapped their transformer to boost the line voltage a bit since the last time the machines ran. My incoming power averages 245V. I have my TM-2P jumpered for over 240V, works fine.

Measure the incoming voltage across the 2 hot wires, rather than each to ground as you have been doing.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Consider that the power company could have retapped their transformer to boost the line voltage a bit since the last time the machines ran. My incoming power averages 245V. I have my TM-2P jumpered for over 240V, works fine.

Measure the incoming voltage across the 2 hot wires, rather than each to ground as you have been doing.
    I will check the voltage that way. Can you think of what else could cause this issue in both machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

This thread seems to have some kind of a problem, looks like it quit updating properly

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The thread seems to be working again.

I will check the voltage that way. Can you think of what else could cause this issue in both machines?

Since it's both machines, I'm guessing it's a line voltage issue, rather than the machines

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked the voltage and it is at 241 volts between the 2 lines. The highest jumper goes from 221-240 and the transformer toward the bottom of the cabinet goes from 224-250
    Since the voltage is at 241 that is 1 volt over what the jumper says. Could that cause the problem i am having? How do you correct the voltage?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems-image-jpg   Haas mill and lathe overvolt power problems-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I just checked the voltage and it is at 241 volts between the 2 lines. The highest jumper goes from 221-240 and the transformer toward the bottom of the cabinet goes from 224-250
    Since the voltage is at 241 that is 1 volt over what the jumper says. Could that cause the problem i am having? How do you correct the voltage?
    On the T5 that should be ok as that is just a 24v transformer the main Transformer should be ok as well with the Jumpers in those positions, mine are the same and I have 245v on average

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    On the T5 that should be ok as that is just a 24v transformer the main Transformer should be ok as well with the Jumpers in those positions, mine are the same and I have 245v on average
    Any suggestions what else to check? It is so wierd that they ran and now after sitting the mill and lathe both have the same alarms. Is there fuses in the power supply i should check? I see to open the box up you have to detach it from the back wall

Downloads
    Uploads

Any suggestions what else to check? It is so wierd that they ran and now after sitting the mill and lathe both have the same alarms. Is there fuses in the power supply i should check? I see to open the box up you have to detach it from the back wall
    Call Haas some of the service Tec's may have an Idea of what is happening , have you tried to clear the alarm with ReSet button

Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast