Haas VF-2 RS-232 Cable Using a Switch

Thread: Haas VF-2 RS-232 Cable Using a Switch

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas VF-2 RS-232 Cable Using a Switch

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a cable to send programs to our 2005 Haas VF-2. It'll be a 25 pin male on both ends. My question is, should they be pinned the same on both ends? I'm fine using software handshakes for now, so I will not be putting jumped pins in. I've been looking around all day and haven't come up with any info on going 25 male to 25 male. The manual says...

Female
    Pin 1 - Ground
    Pin 2 - Red
    Pin 3 - Black
    Pin 7 - Green

Male
    Pin 1 - Ground
    Pin 2 - Black
    Pin 3 - Red
    Pin 7 - Green

However this is not a configuration I'd be able to use, as the switch has a female out.

Thanks for any help

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas VF-2 RS-232 Cable Using a Switch

You would need pins 2 and 3 swapped. I would also caution heavily against using switches. Seen PLENTY of blown comm ports from those. USB to Serial adapters are like $10 now days, just set up individual comm ports for each machine. Much safer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    You would need pins 2 and 3 swapped. I would also caution heavily against using switches. Seen PLENTY of blown comm ports from those. USB to Serial adapters are like $10 now days, just set up individual comm ports for each machine. Much safer.
    Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up pulling the female 25 pin port out of the switch and soldered it into my cable. That way I could use a USB to serial. Works great!