Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting

Thread: Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting

Summary: I'm trying to trouble shoot an AUX AXIS DISCON error displayed by the control, and some of the axis's are jammed.

Here's the background on the machine if it helps: I recently purchased a Haas HS-1RP through a broker, meaning he knew very little about the machine and I wasn't able to talk to the previous owner. I got it at a good price, and was told it was running when it was disconnected, although judging by the good price I knew it would need some work. I'm seriously beginning to doubt that the machine was running due to the condition of the machine. After sequencing the 3 phase, and selecting the correct taps for the line voltage I powered on the machine. The first alarm I dealt with was a low pressure alarm. I ran air to the machine and when I opened the valve I clearly heard a leak. I climbed on top of the machine and found the leak, I grabbed the broken hose to measure the ID so I could turn a barb on my lathe. The hose basically shattered in my hands, so I used the old lines to fish through new ones. The machine was clearly outside exposed to the sun during operation as the colored buttons are seriously sun faded, and only the top of the hoses were cracking. The broken hoses on the top go in the area of the tool changer assembly. Also I found some Allen keys and I think I remember one of the cables being disconnected, which I reconnected. I powered the machine back on, and it was still leaking, which I narrowed down to a line coming off of a low pressure secondary regulator, so right now I just dialed the regulator all the way out. Back at the controller the low pressure alarm is now gone. The only error now is: AUX AXIS DISCON. I read up in the machine user/service manual, and it says on this machine the tool changer uses an auxiliary axis to control the tool changer. For this specific error it says to check the rs-232 connection, and the axes's. Thanks HAAS. So I looked in the control, and finally determined that the tool changer is controlled by an auxiliary board that is located on the door of the machine and is not labeled, but clearly has cables going to the cable port labeled tool changer. The board looks immaculate despite the griminess of the rest of the case. So far i found nothing that would be the source of the problem in the control. The next thing I can check will involving literally climbing into the machine and checking if there is anything disconnected.

If anyone has any advice of where I should be looking feel free to comment. Thanks guys!

Also once I get this machine into a working state, I plan on getting a 5th axis for it and using Fusion 360 to generate Gcode for it. I've modified a few posts before, but never to use 4 and or 5 axis simultaneous, so if anyone has input on that please comment below.

Update: I checked all of the tool changer connections that i could easily get to, and they all seemed to be fine. In the control I disabled aux axis tc. Then i hit the startup button, and the z axis works perfectly, but both the y axis and a axis are jammed. so ill be taking off some covers to look and see what the problem is.

I looked through the programs and there were only 20 or so hand written programs on the machine. the latest one written in 2012, so i'm guessing the machine has been sitting for at least 5 years, probably outside.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting

Welcome to the forum.. a doozy of a first post! Not too many HS posts I have seen but it's a place to start! try over on practical Machinists 4 the haas frm as well. Often folks post to both... so anything to help is worthy IMO. I have a 98 VF that we have been restoring for what feels like 2 years! Keep us posted. I really cannot help much but offer the other site.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I could help out some. We repair the processors since HAAS no longer supports anything before a maincon. WIS does work with re manufacturing places. Check all connections. Check parameters. Check connections to the boards good. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas 1998 HS-1RP Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by WISRepair View Post
    Wish I could help out some. We repair the processors since HAAS no longer supports anything before a maincon. WIS does work with re manufacturing places. Check all connections. Check parameters. Check connections to the boards good. Good luck.
    Thanks for the replies, i have been waiting until it cools down before digging further into it. Im going to start with the y axis, as its easiest to get to the servo and see if i can turn the ball screw by hand. Ill need to read more into the manual and figure out what the deal is with the hydraulic counterbalance as that is probably not charged.

I did find this https://www.haascnc.com/service/trou...ing-guide.html