2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen

Thread: 2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen

On my phone, so apologies if this post skips some detail.

Bought a used VM3 recently, installed, etc. Things were great. It was missing vqc and probing files because the previous owner wiped it. Backup floppy was corrupt due to age. Called hfo, they just ran me in circles and told me to use the bad backup disc.

I found what I thought was a copy of the renishaw macros on the haas support site.
    Put those on flash drive, tried to copy from that to the machine, and it locked up. Now whenever I go to list programs I get an ADDRESS ERROR and it sticks me in some kind of memory diagnostic console. I cant back out of it as far as I know, and if I type HELP it gives me a list of commands- dump memory, test and clear memory, clear flash, and other stuff clearly memory related. Once I enter that menu I just have to power cycle the machine.
    I can still jog, run in MDI, run over DNC via serial, send and receive programs via serial from the edit screen, etc. Just cant get to list programs at all.

I spoke briefly with haas and they said I might need a service call and we will have to wipe the machine. They say they have params and stuff, but I am trying to find an alternate backup solution in case they are different than factory. (The usual backup method is in list programs, of course)

Picture of the screen attached, if anyone knows how to fix without wiping it I owe you a beer or 50

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen-img_20190404_105504_867-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen

I've heard of this issue in cases where the memory becomes corrupted. The quick solution is to wipe the machine and reinstall, but as you noted you'll need an HFO technician for that.

Now...occasionally this has come up here or on PM a few times over the last couple years. Sometimes the poster has been able to fix it by wiping the memory using the memory diagnostics console. HOWEVER there is no single method for this procedure because it varies depending on the processor vintage (memory capacity etc). What you really need is an experienced tech to see the post and lend a hand. If the wrong commands are issued, all or some of the machine's software will be wiped (or it will screw the option codes such as your serial number etc) in which case you'll have a bricked machine and definitely require a service call to fix it...ugggh

I'll send you a message with a document...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2006 VM3 Address Error in List Programs screen

Thanks! That document looks like a great resource. Appendix J talks about the screen I have, but does not go into much detail. Memory tools and PC104 commands. I suspect I would need someone familiar with the memory structure on the machine to guide me through a repair in place. I have a tech coming out wednesday, I'll see if they can do it or get someone on the horn to help, else it sounds like we're just reloading everything. Tedious, but not the end of the world.

In any case, I REALLY appreciate you sending that over. It certainly provides some insight!
    Even if I've gotta pay the pros to do it, knowing exactly what procedure they are going to follow and what they're looking for certainly satisfies my curiosity and I might even be able to prep some of it in advance to reduce the time they're here (and therefore how much I get billed!)

Nick

Oh, a note- I tried to respond to your PM, but your PMs seem to be full or disabled. Either way, thank you!