Low voltage transformer

Thread: Low voltage transformer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Low voltage transformer

Hello
    First post here.
    My shop just bought a used 1998 VF2. The machine was set up with 3 phase 480v input power. We have 3 phase 240v power. I am trying to find out if I can just swap to the low voltage, 190-260v transformer, swap the internal breaker and wiring to the transformer to 50 amp capacity and run it. I had considered just bypassing the transformer but my shop power is slightly higher than the 230v input to the Vector Drive and it has a crazy high leg that reads 200-215v to neutral depending on the time of day.
    The only place besides the transformer that sees line voltage is the P1 plug on the circuit board on the Power Assembly Panel which I was told by a couple people is for phase monitoring only but I don't know.
    Any idea If I can just swap transformers and internal breaker and run this and where I can get a low voltage transformer?
    Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Low voltage transformer

If this is in the wrong place feel free to relocate it to where it might get some response.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would give Haas tech support a call.

240V should be acceptable for the vector drive transformer input, you just have to select the proper tap.

Don't worry about the wild leg, you won't be bringing a neutral into the machine. The 208V or so to neutral is normal for 240V delta system. The phase to phase voltage is what's important.

For 120V use, you just need to avoid using the wild leg.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would give Haas tech support a call.

240V should be acceptable for the vector drive transformer input, you just have to select the proper tap.

Don't worry about the wild leg, you won't be bringing a neutral into the machine. The 208V or so to neutral is normal for 240V delta system. The phase to phase voltage is what's important.

For 120V use, you just need to avoid using the wild leg.
    Thank you.
    As far as I can tell there is only 1 input on the vector drive. It is labeled 230v. The current transformer is labeled with 5 inputs, 353-376v, 377-400v, 401-425v, 426-451v, and 452-480v, and 2 out puts, 230v which goes to the vector drive and 115v which goes up to the TB1 location on the power supply assembly board. To make the boss happy and keep any future techs from freaking out I was hoping to just swap my transformer for the 195-260v Haas transformer like what is in a friends machine and change the internal breaker to a 40A. If it were mine I'd just change the breaker, run the 240v to the vector drive and pull one of the low legs to the TB1 location on the board but I didn't write the check for this thing.
    I already am in contact with the Haas tech (HFO????) locally and was assured of a response once he found out anything but I'm still waiting.

Downloads
    Uploads

In that case, getting the proper Haas transformer is the correct way to do it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

There's one major component that's different inside the machine when you switch from the 480v inputs. It's a small, single-phase AC transformer that continuously supplies power to the "power on" button when the machine is off...this is the device that actually turns everything on when you push the green button. I attached a picture to this post, showing a 1999 enclosure which will probably look similar.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I think it's supposed to drop your input voltage down to 20-VAC (off the top of my head). This low AC power is "safe" enough to run through the control pendant. Anyway if you suddenly start delivering half the input voltage to the machine itself, this small transformer will now be feeding the power on circuit with half the voltage it needs.

That said, I'm sure you can buy the transformer and install it yourself. It's wired with a connector so it shouldn't be difficult to swap.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Low voltage transformer-20181127_190615-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    There's one major component that's different inside the machine when you switch from the 480v inputs. It's a small, single-phase AC transformer that continuously supplies power to the "power on" button when the machine is off...this is the device that actually turns everything on when you push the green button. I attached a picture to this post, showing a 1999 enclosure which will probably look similar.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I think it's supposed to drop your input voltage down to 20-VAC (off the top of my head). This low AC power is "safe" enough to run through the control pendant. Anyway if you suddenly start delivering half the input voltage to the machine itself, this small transformer will now be feeding the power on circuit with half the voltage it needs.

That said, I'm sure you can buy the transformer and install it yourself. It's wired with a connector so it shouldn't be difficult to swap.
    Awesome. I knew there had to be a feed to the switch because the main contactor has a 24v coil and the only draw off line voltage before the contactor is the 3 wire plug directly to the left of the plug you note in your photo, the plug labeled P1. I was told that was for phase monitoring but it makes sense that it would feed a transformer for the switch. I'll check it's input voltage range and order the appropriate one if it wont do 240v.
    Thank you.