Best Type of Chuck to Run

Thread: Best Type of Chuck to Run

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best Type of Chuck to Run

All,

Reaching out for advice, this is more of a generic question and I realize the answer may have more to do with the operation itself.

But what is the basic chuck to be put a rotary table? 3-jaw, 4-jaw independent, 3-jaw SetTru?
    If you all are using a rotary table what are you using

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best Type of Chuck to Run

I have a 3 jaw on mine. Seems to work OK. I dialed it in using a 1 inch pin in the jaws, that's about the average size part that I run. 3 jaw chucks tend to be repeatable, but not necessarily the same concentricity at all openings due to manufacturing tolerances in the scroll. For best accuracy, if you really need it, it to use a 4 jaw and dial in each part, or 3 or 6 jaw SetTru and dial it in for each job.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best Type of Chuck to Run

Well if you really want to hold work true on a rotary table or dividing head that is suitable to be held in a 3 jaw just make the chuck a slack fit on the table register and bump the chuck body true if the work piece runs out...….my lathe 160mm 3 jaw chuck is 30 years old and runs dead true......made in China where else.

I have yet to see a 3 jaw chuck that runs true for all diams all the time even from new...….a 3 jaw chuck is a convenient way to hold round stock that has to be machined.....it could be called a poor man's collet chuck.
    Ian.