Looking for alternatives strategy verses plunging my mill bit strait into the piece

Thread: Looking for alternatives strategy verses plunging my mill bit strait into the piece

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for alternatives strategy verses plunging my mill bit strait into the piece

I am milling mainly Aluminum on my Haas mini mill, and currently for example I am milling a 2" x 2" square hole that is let's say 1/2" deep. My cam software creates code that just takes my end mill and brings it above that area and goes strait down on the area it's going to cut and then continues cutting the square area. ( in other words it goes strait down to the depth specified in my depth of cut in my G-code )

I've been reading that this may be shortening my end mill life.

I was going to consider having the mill make a 3/4" hole with a drill bit in that area to create a pilot hole for my 1/2" end mill to use as a starting point.

Is there an alternative that I should be using?

My cam software is somewhat limited on settings ( for example I don't have the option to come in at it at an angle )

Thanks,

Kent

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for alternatives strategy verses plunging my mill bit strait into the pie

If you can't spiral in with the CAM software that you have, then you need different CAM software. What are you using now? I like CamBam for quick stuff, and use Fusion 360 for more demanding stuff, both have spiral in functionality.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for alternatives strategy verses plunging my mill bit strait into the pie

Hi Jim,

I am using MeshCam for my Cam software.

I have been considering making the move to Fusion 360 and maybe this will be the nudge that I needed.

I will also check on the CamBam you mentioned.

Thanks,

Kent

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree that it's a situation where a ramp or spiral entry would be certainly beneficial. With modern CAM it's so common that it's often the default method for pocket entry. And it's definitely true that the endmill itself probably doesn't want to plunge, though it may depend on the manufacturer. Many high-helix cutters want to be ramped down into their cut rather than plunge.

I like to use a drilled plunge hole in situations where the pocket size is relatively small compared to the endmill used to cut it. Using a plunge hole will save the bottom cutting surfaces, but it probably won't speed things up with today's modern endmills made for aluminum. In the past, plunge hole was the go-to method because the drill had a higher material removal rate, but these days that's only true if you're slamming a carbide TSC drill through the material at 100 ipm. If not then using the same endmill will probably be the same, ultimately.