Need Help! Renishaw Probe on Haas Super Mini Mill - Can't Calibrate

Thread: Renishaw Probe on Haas Super Mini Mill - Can't Calibrate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renishaw Probe on Haas Super Mini Mill - Can't Calibrate

My Haas Super Mini Mill has both Renishaw tool and work probes. I've never been able to calibrate the work probe (it's a 40-2) really accurately and for lots of jobs I end up using indicators to determine things like hole centers. I'd really like to rely on the probe, but need help getting it properly calibrated. Typically I'll run through the calibration routine with the built-in software, and then double check with a dial indicator in the spindle. The results are always the same: the Y-axis is fine but the X-axis is off by about a thou. I've centered the probe's ball within a tenth or so before calibrating.

Is the probe in need of repair or is there another calibration routine that I should be following?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Renishaw Probe on Haas Super Mini Mill - Can't Calibrate

That's odd - the software calibration routine should measure and compensate for any runout (even if the ruby tip is slightly out-of-round). The measured values are stored within macro variables #558 and #559 (for X,Y respectively).
    Maybe this is a dumb question, are you using a good round gauge ring when you run the XY calibration? Something has to be changing, whether it's the machine, probe, or anything in between...

I will say this though, the probe's accuracy depends on stacking up a lot of variables, so a good mechanical dial indicator is still the last word in accuracy. If I absolutely had to measure a feature below 0.001", I would probe it first then check it with an indicator to verify, because there's no visual way to know whether the probe's reading is *that* good. The only way to check it is to test with an indicator or run the calibration...but after you do that, it defeats the purpose of the probe being reliable for every scenario. So the probes only go so far... the extent might stir up some debate

Downloads
    Uploads

No debate with me. I follow Ydna's advice too. When it's critical, probe then indicate. I find my Y axis is usually off a couple of 10ths. I do have a calibrated ring to set my probe and have indicated the tip within a 10th. I'm actually surprised the tip stays but it does.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could try the raw renishaw routines.

You can look them up in the manual too.

G0 G90 G65 P9023 A10. D1.0

Sets center on a 1.0" ring from wherever you start from. D is the diameter of the ring.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also note that you should always use the probe in the same orientation, IE not 180 degrees off.

Downloads
    Uploads

You might try using the vector probing calibration routine (program O9804). That makes a more full calibration of the ball at several angles, which are then stored in macros. The normal calibration routine only stores a value for X, and one for Y, not even a value for X+/Y+ and X-/Y-. You could also try using cycle O09836 (Optimising a probing cycle), which tunes the ideal feed rate for probing on your machine. This will require making a couple edits to your probing programs after completion. You can find info on both of those cycles in the Renishaw manuals.
    A probe is really just a fancy switch, so you are always having to deal with the spring tension (and how that spring is designed), and calculating exactly when/where that switch was tripped while the machine is moving. You can get it pretty dialed in, but will it ever be as accurate as picking up a hole with a good indicator? Probably not.

Downloads
    Uploads

amphib,

I was going to ask the same question as erikfriesen: Is the probe going in the spindle the same way every time?

I have a 2006 SMM, with an OMP40 probe. (I personally don't tool-change my probe -- never have since the day I got it). I punch the Orient Spindle button, and install the probe with battery cap forward -- whether I'm probing, or calibrating. I've never had an issue with mine being off any measurable amount.

PM

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Loking 4 Renishaw P09836 (2.6 or 2.8) Was: Renishaw Probe on Haas - Can't Calibrate

Older thread below, but it's what I found looking for a copy of that PO09836 Optimizing pgm going onto an older Haas.... Would anyone have a copy? Reni's install PDF suggests to 'delete' when done so it's not in our 2.6 or 2.8 copies around here. 2.6 preferred as that's what I'm putting on. Or #VAR 562 on a older (98) VF4 to get us started at least. (which is where you put it). I have the 2nd required output value from P9724... (100) slow machine. It'll do for now.

OK.. so I thought it would post My subject line in the main window- My bad.. will let it simmer for now.
    TIA!!!
    GC and Son.

Last edited by countryguy; 08-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.