Ordered First VMC, sent deposit on Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary collet.

Thread: Ordered First VMC, sent deposit on Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary collet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ordered First VMC, sent deposit on Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary collet.

If you look you'll find posts on here by me about my cnc router. Nice router, good machine, just can't do what a vmc can do. So I just ordered a Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary 4th axis and rigid tapping to replace it. It has been an interesting ride doing research on what I could possibly afford and what would fit in my garage.

I started looking into this about a year ago. Business has been good and orders are backing up, I decided automating more of my operations would be a big help. Besides using the router to do things fairly slow, that needed a lot of hand work, I am using a manual Bridgeport to complete a lot of parts and don't have that kind of time anymore. I started looking at Haas originally, got a little nervous about the price, then started to try to find "newer" used machines. Most everything is used industrial sized machines which my space can't handle. Used mini mills are not large enough and the haas tool room mills are far and few between; plus the older models don't have a full enclosure which I need in my small space.

The used prices I was finding for the select size of machines were getting pretty close to new and the machines were always some kind of compromise. A little to big, no 4th axis and the like. Another factor is I am no machine repair guy and don't want to waste alot of time and money with a new purchase sitting with me tryng to figure out what's wrong. So I decided I would research some of the smaller imported machines, I went round and round with the machine sizes and options till I finally decided to get some quotes. I got 3 quotes from the import people, names you would know and machines I read about on here, though occasionally, and they came in alot higher for what I wanted than the low advertised prices they post on their web sites. So after their quotes were received and in the process of reviewing them, I thought it would be a good idea to look at Haas again. I went on the Haas site, priced out the TM-1P with 4th axis and rotary and it ended up being only $900 more than the import. Woo, woo! American made quality, available parts and service when needed. I was an extremely happy camper. Called the dealer yesterday morning and they are running a 5% sale till today! So a little sooner than I wanted, I placed the order and the check is in the mail.

Got a 6-7 week wait now but think I made the perfect choice. Will fit in my garage, do everything I want and what I can't spring for now I can add in the future.

Very happy.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ordered First VMC, sent deposit on Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary collet.

Congratulations. I think you will be happy with the choice you made. You can start looking for tooling and workholding in the meantime.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ordered First VMC, sent deposit on Haas TM-1P with HA5C rotary collet.

I'm sure it will be a nice step up! It's also good that you will have multiple machines available, since there will be lots of things suited for your router. (at least so long as you have space for both!)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations on the new machine!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    I'm sure it will be a nice step up! It's also good that you will have multiple machines available, since there will be lots of things suited for your router. (at least so long as you have space for both!)
    That would be nice but the router is currently taking up the space I need for the Haas. Putting it on ebay :-(
    It is a nice machine with very low hours sad to have to let it go.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know that some router designs will let you re position / reconfigure it so that it can operate on it's side. Much smaller footprint that way. Maybe you can hang it from the ceiling and drop it down when you need it.
    I have considered getting rid of our Pulsar mill when we got the Haas. Then when I bought an Axiom Elite router, I considered getting rid of our CRP router. I am glad that I decided to keep them both. Not only is having two mills and two routers good for backups, but I am developing new products that keep them busy too. Win win.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You know that some router designs will let you re position / reconfigure it so that it can operate on it's side. Much smaller footprint that way. Maybe you can hang it from the ceiling and drop it down when you need it.
    I have considered getting rid of our Pulsar mill when we got the Haas. Then when I bought an Axiom Elite router, I considered getting rid of our CRP router. I am glad that I decided to keep them both. Not only is having two mills and two routers good for backups, but I am developing new products that keep them busy too. Win win.
    I like the way you think, l could put it on the roof. ;-)
    I do develop and market a line of products that lean towards the mill. The router takes up 49 square feet of my total 420.

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations on your new Haas, we bought our TM1P / 4th for the garage and just had to recess the ceiling for the z travel we missed it by 1/2” due to the auger clearance needed. We went with Haas because the distributor is about 6 blocks away!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tom o View Post
    Congratulations on your new Haas, we bought our TM1P / 4th for the garage and just had to recess the ceiling for the z travel we missed it by 1/2” due to the auger clearance needed. We went with Haas because the distributor is about 6 blocks away!
    I think my ceiling is a full inch too low but I do have a drywall saw. My dealer is an hour and a half away, wish he was closer, I am kind of out in the sticks.