Problem HAAS 4th Axis Brush Motor with Brushless drive question

Thread: HAAS 4th Axis Brush Motor with Brushless drive question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post HAAS 4th Axis Brush Motor with Brushless drive question

We have a 1997 Vf3 mill ordered from the factory with an HRT210 4th axis. Haven't used it much but are now in need of it. Well it won't zero out. Faults when it sees the home switch and needs to reverse to find the existing Z pulse. The XYand Z drives are all labeled 4015H while the A axis is labeled 4015E-P. The wiring for the brush motor has inductors on the A and C terminal out to the motor. My questions are :
    1 - Is the existing 4th servo module different than the X Y and Z?
    2. Can I swap out a 4015H for a 4015E-P for troubleshooting purposes.
    3. Will the new EN5550 module work and what is the difference between the D , E And J models.

Thanks for any help..

Russ

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAAS 4th Axis Brush Motor with Brushless drive question

Your 4th axis drive should be a brush and brushless drive. See the door label and it may show you. Of course someone could have changed it. Mine is a 4015H-G.

Before you can just hook up the drive, you need to setup the parameters too. I can post if you need them. Each drive, HRT210, HA5C etc. are all different settings.

Don't swap into the 4th axis to test, as it can damage the brushless drives. You could use the 4th axis drive for a X Y or Z position but not the other way around.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Your 4th axis drive should be a brush and brushless drive. See the door label and it may show you. Of course someone could have changed it. Mine is a 4015H-G.

Before you can just hook up the drive, you need to setup the parameters too. I can post if you need them. Each drive, HRT210, HA5C etc. are all different settings.

Don't swap into the 4th axis to test, as it can damage the brushless drives. You could use the 4th axis drive for a X Y or Z position but not the other way around.

Mike

Thanks Mike....

Motor in HRT210 is ok.... Drove it with a battery charger both directions after releasing air brake.... about 1.5 amp draw at 12vdc. Chuck rotating.

so a 4015 is a 4015... letters don't matter..

If drive IS proven defective, the en5550 will work ..yes?

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC0881 View Post
    Thanks Mike....

Motor in HRT210 is ok.... Drove it with a battery charger both directions after releasing air brake.... about 1.5 amp draw at 12vdc. Chuck rotating.

so a 4015 is a 4015... letters don't matter..

If drive IS proven defective, the en5550 will work ..yes?

Russ
    NO, letters do matter! The drive should be a brush/brushless drive and you need to find out if that drive is one. I would say that you also need to check the parameters. On my 1996 mill, I tried to hook up a HA5C to the 4th and the previous owner had stuck a bad drive into it. They had used the 4th drive to replace a bad z drive.

So, I'm saying the check you parameters and verify it all. Making the motor turn with a battery charger means nothing. To work with the Haas it must match the parameters too.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Parameters

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...1&d=1532530461

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAAS 4th Axis Brush Motor with Brushless drive question-rotary-parameters-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mike...

Parameters in control are all ok for 4th... I will put the drive that is in the A (4015E-P) in the Y and see how it works......If Defective in Y will order a new EN5550 for the A...

Yes I know Parameters are needed to operate properly... The charger test was to verify DC motor integrity... I've used it many times on DC servo motors to isolate motor from drive issues. Sometimes points to bad windings etc.Plus you have a built in ammeter.......Most shops have a battery charger laying around..

Russ
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

On your older machine, 1997, it should have a pair of transformers that get hooked to the 4th axis drive. My 96 and 97 have them. Make sure they are there. I doubt you bought the machine new, so people change things. On my 97, the 4th axis drive was also used to replace a bad X,Y, or Z drive. I'm about to change that as I want to hook up my 9 inch rotary to it.

I have three extra drives right now, a 4015M-C, a 4015J-A and a 30 amp Smart Amp. I just talk to my drive guy and he said all will work for a 4th if the transformers are used. Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Morning MIke,

Put A axis board in Z...Immediate fault....Put Good Z in A... Works like a charm... So the Brushless drive is defective as suspected... Yes we do have the inductive smoothing chokes in line with the armature leads. .

Thanks for your help..

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

I won't swear on it myself as I haven't tried it, but my drive guy said that a smart amp will work for 4th axis also if the transformers are hooked to it also. In other words it is the power source coming in that makes it work for a brush drive.

Might try it someday to see. Just thought others might need the information.

Mike