Need Help! Connecting HAAS indexer to Anilam Crusader M controller

Thread: Connecting HAAS indexer to Anilam Crusader M controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connecting HAAS indexer to Anilam Crusader M controller

I have all of the manuals and schematics for the Crusader M and the HAAS HRT-7 indexer. I am unable to locate any 'spare' relay contacts for use with spare M-Codes or AUX codes.

Surely by now, someone has already solved this issue. What solutions have been utilized to get external signals in and out of the Crusader M controller? What codes were used to activate them?

The HAAS indexer only needs a START/STEP signal to tell the indexer to step to the next programmed location and the controller needs to see the STEP COMPLETE response from the indexer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Doug

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connecting HAAS indexer to Anilam Crusader M controller

I solved my Crusader M problems by carefully removing everything that said Anilam on it and replaced it with a more modern control system that has the features that I need and is easily expandable going forward. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is a 30 some year old controller, and not very adaptable.

I did look back through some of my archives and was not able to find a way to extend the I/O on the Crusader M. Not saying there is no way to do it, I just don't have an answer for you.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thoroughly researched the Anilam Crusader M schematics and specs and came to the same conclusion. Internally in the digital guts, it appears that there might have been a way to pursue this but not worth the effort. I really like Anilam programming and user interface and was disappointed, but what do you expect for something of this vintage.

Over the past few years I bought 3 used Anilam Series 1400 controllers. The first one was a bust. No servos, scales and the hard drive was dead. Ended up saving a few circuit boards and scrapped the rest., The second unit came with all servos and was pretty clean. It also had the air conditioner option. The reason for buying these used controllers was that I wanted to eventually add a 4th and 5th axis after I got more familiar with CNC and machining in general.

As the years passed, I went back to work full time (now 75 and healthy) and did not have much time for the machine shop. With no time, the 3rd unit sat on the covered patio for a few years and did not even unpack it (other than the monitor). The monitor was absolutely filthy. Years of dried coolant wtih embedded chips was disgusting. After initially seeing this I am sure it dampened any rush to open the big plywood crate to see the same mess on the rest of the system. I did not even remember what was supposed to be included.

Some semi-precision machining requirements developed at work and our machine shop is very limited., I tried to use my Supermax with the Anilam Crusader M and found I needed a rotary table to do the work. I had a HAAS HRT-7 and controller I had never hooked up and proceeded to learn the fundamentals of using it. It is a little oversize for my mill, but thought I could 'make do' until I can find a HAAS 5C. Unfortunately, I have to use it in indexing mode. There are no spare M codes or Aux codes that come out to an interface to run the automatic stepping function of the rotary table. In evaluating my options, I decided to take a look at the Series 1400 controllers I had bought and nearly forgot about.

So, out to the patio I went with a sludge hammer to break open the big plywood box and evaluate what was in the box compared to what I had salvaged from the first two units. It was like Christmas (sort of). I found that the box had all 3 servo motors, the Anilam Z-axis motor and mounting hardware and the X-Axis and Y-Axis scales (now spares). The downside is that the controller and cables were exactly like the monitor was. Baked on coolant and chips everywhere. The unit it wired for 5- axis and this model is slightly different in that it has an additional servo distribution box that mounts like a saddle bag on the side of the mill. I really like the idea of all the interfaces including the options going to this extra box. It will make interfacing much easier.

While I had all of the Series 1400 documentation (I thought), there was an additional item that is the holy grail. I did not know it existed! It is the technical manual that Anilam apparently sent out to the machine builders and OEM's. Sitting on top of the computer in the cabinet was this document along with other material that describes in detail how to set up and calibrate the servo amps that were supplied by various vendors. Having the 'secret sauce' is going to make the integration much easier than it otherwise would have been. The good thing is that it is almost cable ready for the 4th and 5 axis plus some new features such as coolant on/off, spindle speed (with my VFD), etc. The spare servo amps from the 1st and 2nd unit will come in handy plus having a couple spares.

The only downside in the transition is that the Series 1400 Floor Stand model has a cabinet that is quite a bit larger than the Crusader M, especially with the air conditioner attached. Oh well, might have to move the K.O. Lee grinder over a bit to make some room.. Having spent over 55 years as an Electronic Engineer (Aerospace), it is a nice diversion to go into the shop and make some parts in the machining world.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you have it under control. Great find in the box, that documentation is worth its weight in gold. I hope I'm still going at 75, you have about 5 years on me and I'm wearing out.

If you need a bunch of Fanuc OT parts, I just did a complete retrofit on a Hardinge Conquest 42 lathe. Replaced everything that said Fanuc on it except the spindle motor.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA