no low end torque on vf 2 with gear box

Thread: no low end torque on vf 2 with gear box

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default no low end torque on vf 2 with gear box

I noticed on our new (2017) VF2 with a 20hp gearbox at 10 RPM I can grab the spindle and stop it in low gear and high gear. With it programmed at 10 rpm it lopes from 7 RPM to 18 RPM.

Our VF3 with a gear box running at 10 rpm lopes from 9 to 10 rpm at most.

So far Haas has replace the wye z control, vector drive, spindle encoder, gear box and spindle motor. Problem persists. Anyone ever run across this? any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: no low end torque on vf 2 with gear box

Given that the entire drive system has been replaced, it sounds like a software setting. Maybe in the vector drive or the machine program, not sure where the drive parameters are set in that machine. I can't stop my 3 hp knee mill vector drive spindle at 10 RPM in high gear, never tried it on the Haas.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: no low end torque on vf 2 with gear box

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyerholtz View Post
    I noticed on our new (2017) VF2 with a 20hp gearbox at 10 RPM I can grab the spindle and stop it in low gear and high gear. With it programmed at 10 rpm it lopes from 7 RPM to 18 RPM.

Our VF3 with a gear box running at 10 rpm lopes from 9 to 10 rpm at most.

So far Haas has replace the wye z control, vector drive, spindle encoder, gear box and spindle motor. Problem persists. Anyone ever run across this? any ideas?
    What ever would you be doing, that would need those low speeds, You would have to see what the minimum speed the motor can run at, this will dictate how slow you can run, what is the gear ratio

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

they are looking at the boards and drives now. this all started with getting bad finished with a 2" face mill, the day previous i was able to get a mirror like finish. thankfully it is still under warranty.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2 weeks ago i was doing detail work and sizing and squaring a job up, everything was fine with finish on the 2" face mill. I switched over to a different job that had a lot of roughing involved. got that job done and went back to the last 3 details I had to finish. but this time taking a small cut the the 2" face mill it left a horrible finish.

I cleaned the taper, cleaned the face mill mounting surfaces, new inserts, checked them to a indicator. yet the problem persisted. Later on i began drilling the details, one required a HSS drill, so with my keyless chuck in the spindle I turned it on at 10 rpm so i could grip the chuck for a second to make sure it was tightened down, which i have done many times on this machine since they removed the spindle orient hot key. Only this time i could stop the spindle with little resistance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What ever would you be doing, that would need those low speeds, You would have to see what the minimum speed the motor can run at, this will dictate how slow you can run, what is the gear ratio

im not usre the gear ratio, but the haas tech did check another comparable machine that they have on the floor and he was not able to slow down the spindle at all on that machine at 10 rpm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

still down. Everything has been replaced. machine wont change gears, spindle orientation wont keep position. Odd thing that was found, In memory mode and DNC mode with the spindle on you can stop the spindle. but as soon as you go to hand jog mode you cant stop it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And here we are another week. Machine still down and Haas corporate is still dragging their feet on helping us. I have always been a big fan of Haas, my last shop had a few of them and had very few problems with them. Me and my brother went on our own and bough 2 brand new machines from them, but apparently that means nothing to them. We need to buy another mill and lathe very soon. I guess we will be looking elsewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyerholtz View Post
    And here we are another week. Machine still down and Haas corporate is still dragging their feet on helping us. I have always been a big fan of Haas, my last shop had a few of them and had very few problems with them. Me and my brother went on our own and bough 2 brand new machines from them, but apparently that means nothing to them. We need to buy another mill and lathe very soon. I guess we will be looking elsewhere.
    Are you getting any alarms when you stoping the spindle by hand? Or when orienting and try to move it?

Haas Servise Tech