Haas VF2 Specs & hardware by Model Year

Thread: Haas VF2 Specs & hardware by Model Year

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas VF2 Specs & hardware by Model Year

I'm looking to buy a used VF2. All my smart friends tell me not to buy a used machine, but I really can only spend about 40k on a machine. I understand it may bite me in the ass, and I'm not going to buy ANY machine, but I think bnb if I can find the right machine and have it inspected, ball bar etc, I'm hoping I can minimize the potential downside and I'd be saving about half the money going used. I'd love to hear everyone's input on this theory, and I'm also wondering what years / options I want to look for and what I need to avoid in this range, I think the ballpark should be 2005 to 2015. I could be wrong here too.
    Are there some years that are preferred to others or is newer better in all cases. If anyone knows anything about changes to a VF2 throughout this range of years I'd appreciate the input.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas VF2 Specs & hardware by Model Year

A new controller board came out about 2-4 years ago.
    The old one is iirc coldfire, and uses obsolete chips not available any more.

A control board is supposedly == 8000€ or so..
    Likewise the new controls now in 2018 may be linux based or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you saying that the board inside the say 4 year or older controllers can go out and costs $8k to replace if you can get it? Is that a common issue?

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    A new controller board came out about 2-4 years ago.
    The old one is iirc coldfire, and uses obsolete chips not available any more.

A control board is supposedly == 8000€ or so..
    Likewise the new controls now in 2018 may be linux based or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

No. Its pretty rare for the processors to go out. And they are still available. $3500 after exchange and about an hour of time from a tech.

1. Make sure that it has the LCD display, the large one. This will get you at least 14 series software that you can add on any option that you want if the machine doesnt have it.
    2. If you want to do probing, look for one that already has it. Otherwise its $5-7000 to add it.
    3. Get a SS if possible. Less problems with the tool changer and you get the fast rapids.
    4. Look for one that already has a 4th axis installed. Not a big deal to add it later but if you want to make more complex parts, the rotarys are plug and play.
    5. Finally, a ballbar wont tell you alot if the machine isnt already dialed in. A good inspection of the ways/ballscrews and checking the backlash will tell you more about the condition of the machine. A better indication of machine condition would be doing a vibration analysis of the motor and spindle. Spindles and motors are 100x more common to crap out than the axis components.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawtaz View Post
    No. Its pretty rare for the processors to go out. And they are still available. $3500 after exchange and about an hour of time from a tech.

1. Make sure that it has the LCD display, the large one. This will get you at least 14 series software that you can add on any option that you want if the machine doesnt have it.
    2. If you want to do probing, look for one that already has it. Otherwise its $5-7000 to add it.
    3. Get a SS if possible. Less problems with the tool changer and you get the fast rapids.
    4. Look for one that already has a 4th axis installed. Not a big deal to add it later but if you want to make more complex parts, the rotarys are plug and play.
    5. Finally, a ballbar wont tell you alot if the machine isnt already dialed in. A good inspection of the ways/ballscrews and checking the backlash will tell you more about the condition of the machine. A better indication of machine condition would be doing a vibration analysis of the motor and spindle. Spindles and motors are 100x more common to crap out than the axis components.
    2008 and older (I believe) machines are no longer supported. If the processor board goes out, Haas is quoting in the $10,000-$14,000 range to "upgrade" the machine to the new control that people are having bug issues with. The core refund is no longer offered. That's what is being reported on practical machinist.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    2008 and older (I believe) machines are no longer supported. If the processor board goes out, Haas is quoting in the $10,000-$14,000 range to "upgrade" the machine to the new control that people are having bug issues with. The core refund is no longer offered. That's what is being reported on practical machinist.
    2008 might be a little late (but I dont work on machines anymore so I dont know). The Coldfire processor came out about 2005 and the large LED display came out a year or so later. The maincon came out about 2011/2012 and of course the last generation a few years ago.

So, like my first post, look for the large LCD. The Coldfire (93-32-4412) can still be ordered from Haas. And the original maincon (93-32-4300) is just a combination board of the mocon and the CF processor. I'm just not sure how the retro fit would go. IIRC, you couldnt put anything less than 16 series software on a maincon (and it may have been late 16 series, like M16.10). So, if someone put a maincon in a CF machine, it would require a software update. I dont totally remember, Ive slept a couple times since 2012...

EDIT - I just looked up the parts and you can still order the CF processor but not the original 2012 maincon from Haas? Seems weird they would still support an older processor then skip one to the newest...

Downloads
    Uploads

The story I heard is that a specific chip on those boards was discontinued, that's the holdup for the whole thing. Mega frustrating...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    The story I heard is that a specific chip on those boards was discontinued, that's the holdup for the whole thing. Mega frustrating...
    Well, I know for a fact that they dont support the older processor (motorola) that came before the CF. Im not sure about the chips, it very much could be 100% true. I just know that there are a ton of CF processors out there. Hell, I have a couple good used ones sitting on my bench...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that's true (about no support for the old Moto board), we have two old machines running that hardware which are still chugging along. I have a brushed-servo 1999 mill that we updated to Coldfire back around 2011 although the cost at the time was around 7k if I recall correctly (which included refurbished parts...I'm not sure about any of the current upgrade items).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Yeah that's true (about no support for the old Moto board), we have two old machines running that hardware which are still chugging along. I have a brushed-servo 1999 mill that we updated to Coldfire back around 2011 although the cost at the time was around 7k if I recall correctly (which included refurbished parts...I'm not sure about any of the current upgrade items).
    Im thinking it would be about the same price now. The boards havent risen in cost hardly at all since I was working on them all the time... And that was in 2012...