Haas VF2 (2006) Cambox Replacement

Thread: Haas VF2 (2006) Cambox Replacement

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas VF2 (2006) Cambox Replacement

Does anyone have any good info as far as timing, tool number, etc? Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas VF2 (2006) Cambox Replacement

Thats a pretty broad question. What exactly are you trying to fix?

EDIT - I will base my overly broad answer on the assumption that you are trying to replace a side mount cambox on your own...

1. You dont need to worry about the switches. Those will be set from the factory. As long as you connect all the wires properly, once you turn on the machine, it will home like usual.

2. The biggest problem you will face is changing the double arm from the old cambox to the new one and then getting everything aligned properly. There is a tool for it that any halfway decent Haas tech will have but it is not needed. You can eyeball it just as well as long as you take your time. It has to be aligned to the tool pocket and the spindle which makes it a huge PITA.

Of course, I would ask why you are changing the cambox. In my many years as a tech for an HFO, I only ever changed two of them. Its pretty damn rare to have a cambox go bad...

Last edited by Outlawtaz; 05-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, Thanks much for the reply. I started with this company less than a month ago, they do dry machining (wood, plastic, fiberboard) and the parts were getting soaked with oil. The oil quit leaking 3 months ago according to operators. When I filled it, and drained some to check it, it didnt look good, more metal than oil damn near. The cambox eventually started locking up. Again man thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to the CNC maintenance. I was in the Army for the last 8 years as a mechanic, and this is just a little different. Thanks again, Have a good one!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaBoulter View Post
    ... they do dry machining (wood, plastic, fiberboard) and the parts were getting soaked with oil. The oil quit leaking 3 months ago according to operators. When I filled it, and drained some to check it, it didnt look good, more metal than oil damn near. The cambox eventually started locking up.
    In this case, I would suspect that the cambox is shot. When I said I only replaced 2, those were ones that spontaneously kicked the bucket. I cant account for improper maintenance or lack thereof.

If you are going to change the cambox, there are a couple things to remember. The cambox and the carousel are separate pieces. Instructions are to remove the carousel and then take out the cambox. This adds a ton of hours to the job. The carousel assembly can be loosened up and pulled away from the cambox just far enough to get the cambox out. You need to pull the sheetmetal covers and there is a lifting screw hole on the top you can use to support the carousel assembly so you dont accidently drop it.

There is not a lifting place on the top of the cambox. But it doesnt weigh that much. Maybe 125lb? I horsed them up myself with someone else just spotting me since they are a little ungainly. Its bolted to the arm and has a couple locator pins that you have to clear.

Other than the alignment of the double arm, its pretty much a remove and replace job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update, after removing the cambox, 10 out of the 186 HHB that mount the front cover were backed out. I dont know how or why , but they were. Im finishing up today but everything is good thus far. Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

10 out of the 186 HHB

Let me know when you get frustrated with getting the double arm all lined up. I will give you some pointers that arent exactly factory steps...

Downloads
    Uploads

Alright man, I can use all the help I can get. Ive went through half a pack of cigs, and 3 monsters and Im struggling!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, long day at work yesterday and then I broke my laptop so had to cobble something together. Anyway...

Are you familiar with using the tool changer recovery button? If so, set your rapids slow (25% or slower). Command the machine to do a tool change. Keep your hand on the e-stop button and when the double arm starts to move, hit the e-stop.

Now, take the double arm off the cambox shaft. A poccket should be down in the tool changer and the spindle should be in the tool changer position. Make sure there is a tool in both of them (best to use an empty tool holder so you dont cut yourself). Push the double arm up on the shaft without the locking collar in it (this pushes the locks that allow the arm to slip over a tool). Turn the double arm with your hands so it locks onto both the tools.

At this point, you can now look up through the hole and make sure your cambox is in the proper position. You can eyeball or measure the gaps, (depending on how anal you are LOL). Once the cambox shaft is centered in the hole, you want to reset the e-stop and go into the tool changer recovery. Follow the instructions on the screen to "move" the double arm into the actual tool change position. There are a couple switches that show 0 and 1 on the screen that will tell you when it is in the proper position.

Here's where is really becomes a pain in the arse... You have to drive the taper lock up into the double and tighten the bolts WITHOUT pulling the double arm down. This will probably take you a couple times to get it right, but since everything else should be lined up at this point, its just a pain to do. I usually push the arm up a little knowing that I will draw it down a small amount when I tighten the bolts. Make sure you use a progressive tightening of the bolts in a cross pattern to make sure that the arm stays straight.

After everything is tightened up, you can finish the tool recovery and then check it for proper operation.

Hope this makes sense. Its kinda hard to explain something in writing that would only take 3 minutes to show you in person...

Downloads
    Uploads

I got it done, actually ALOT faster than what I thought it would take. I took a couple measurements off the old stud that the double arm sits on, and I was almost dead on. After 2-3 adjustments it was GTG. Hey man, thanks. Thanks for taking the time to help someone you dont really know. I appreciate more than you know. I printed this thread so I can have the notes if I ever have to do this again. Thanks again, have a good week!!!! - Josh

Downloads
    Uploads

I got it done, actually ALOT faster than what I thought it would take. I took a couple measurements off the old stud that the double arm sits on, and I was almost dead on. After 2-3 adjustments it was GTG. Hey man, thanks. Thanks for taking the time to help someone you dont really know. I appreciate more than you know. I printed this thread so I can have the notes if I ever have to do this again. Thanks again, have a good week!!!! - Josh
    Hey, no problem brother. A bunch of really great people on here are helping me with my projects so I thought I would pay it forward by sharing my knowledge of Haas machines. Just remember, alot of my recommendations are necessarily what we call "Haas approved" but they are shortcuts that I learned while working on machines.

Need anything else on your Haas, let me know...