Need Help! Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs

Thread: Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs

I am about to purchase a Haas DT2. It will have a 15K spindle with TAB and TSC.

I will be needing BT30 tool holders (g2.5 15k balanced) and TSC pull studs. What are good brands to look for and places to buy them? Are there brands to stay away from?

Holders will be mostly ER20 and a few ER16, 25, and 30. Where are some good places to look for TSC compatible collets?

Should I get all the pull studs TSC compatible?

What is a good 2” or smaller face shell mill that will work with the DT2 on aluminum? I have been using 45* square inserts but can’t find a small enough shell for the DT.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs

Techniks and Mari Tool have never let me down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Techniks and Mari Tool have never let me down.
    Thanks. I have been looking through the Maritool and have a few picked out.

Have you tried Kilawood? A local rep is pushing them. I’ve found them online for about half the price though. I do not want cheap junk but I also don’t want to over pay for fancy brand names.

Last edited by ATRepair; 04-27-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Be careful with the 45º square insert facemills. The maximum diameter of the physical tool itself should be under 2 inches, so you will *probably* want a facemill that has an even smaller cutting diameter. It seems the 90º facemills are popular for that reason, but then you don't get the lovely chip thinning You can find smaller holders for the 45º inserts, in fact 1.5" diameter 3qty insert holders are common.

If you're not familiar, the 2" diameter restriction is based on the toolchanger arm hitting tools that are stored in the carousel. If you exceed 2 inches there's a high chance that the arm will collide.

Having said that, sometimes you can skirt past that restriction if the conditions are juuuuust right. I was able to locate a 2" cutting diameter SEHW facemill which is about 2.4" wide at its widest point, which hangs down barely below the toolchanger arm. It's close, but no collision Although it's risky to buy a holder unless you're able to make an exact physical mock-up and figure out if it'll work for you.
    The cutter I'm using is a Sumitomo 2.0" WGX using 5qty SExx inserts: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/73765612
    I'm using a Mari 3/4" shellmill holder: https://www.maritool.com/p486/BT30-....duct_info.html
    If you buy that combination of toolholders, it will work okay (at least in my DT1, which I assume would translate to your DT2)

I can get you a picture tomorrow when I'm at the shop...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ydna,
    This is exactly what I’m finding. I visited a running DT1 and DT2 and it was explained exactly as you did. This is why I have been looking for a 3 insert. I think I may get the maritool E45SE12-2-D1H2(.75)

Downloads
    Uploads

That would definitely work. Depending on the holder you use for it, you may want to trim the shank length to make it very stubby when in the machine, then you can fly with it. An integrated-style insert holder would be nice but Mari doesn't make those. They don't make their own insert holder tooling, instead it's re-branded. Not that it's a bad thing - I have one of their larger facemills which is used for roughing on a VF and it's worked nice for years. For what it's worth I would easily stand up for the quality of their in-house holders and pullstuds, no question about it.

I was able to take a picture at the shop this morning, I'll attach it to this post.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help shopping BT30 holders and studs-20180317_143038-jpg  
    Last edited by Ydna; 04-28-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I setup my Mini Mill, I bought several Dorian, Maritool, and a few Technics holders. These were solid Cat 40 holders. I bought all my pull studs from Maritool.
    I also bought one of those multiple holder sets from Amazon on the cheap.
    I can't say a bad word about any of them. Surprised buy the quality of the Amazon set. Certainly not typical one time use and throw away Chinese tooling. Quite the opposite.That said, I did throw away the pull studs (in the scrap bucket).
    They did not fit the Haas. I would not resell those, although they did look to be good quality as well.
    At this point when I need another holder that I do not have, first stop is Maritool.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.
    I have bigger machines ( VF2SS BT40 and UMC-750SS BT40 ) but would recommend Fahrion Centro-P and Schunk Tendo.
    They are great in every way accept the price if you are on a budget.
    //
    Fredrik

Downloads
    Uploads

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Those are not going to fit well into a BT30 spindle. Thanks though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha Ha! You are so right! Time to go back to the eye doctor.

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a pretty good count of Techniks Cat40 ER16 and ER32 holders -- all first class, and extremely accurate. I only buy the G2.5 balanced ones (SMM with a 15k spindle).

PM