Need Help! HAAS RS232 Communication problem

Thread: HAAS RS232 Communication problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAAS RS232 Communication problem

Hello All,

I've had my 1994 VF3 for over 2 years now and since the beginning have had problems transferring files via RS232. Usually after trying a few times and restarting the computer and or machine it will transfer but now it has stopped completely. After speaking with a tech over the phone he said that the serial port PCB's (see image attached) can play up and all you need to do is switch them over. I tried that and it didn't change anything. Has anyone else had problems with these PCB's? I am using NC lite as the communication software but have used and tried many others and all seem to have similar results. I used to get parity errors and so forth at the machine but now it doesn't even look the the machine is seeing anything. I have attached images of all the settings.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAAS RS232 Communication problem-com-port-3-settings-png   HAAS RS232 Communication problem-nc-lite-settings-png   HAAS RS232 Communication problem-yru-jpg   HAAS RS232 Communication problem-tui-jpg  

HAAS RS232 Communication problem-yrf-jpg   HAAS RS232 Communication problem-dnc-settings-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAAS RS232 Communication problem

Your handshake settings are the same on the first and last pictures, but in the middle one ir is "software" instead of "xon/xoff." Might try that.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Your handshake settings are the same on the first and last pictures, but in the middle one ir is "software" instead of "xon/xoff." Might try that.

Mike
    Xon/Xoff is a software handshake. There is only a software and hardware option in those settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this thread is old, but what was the solution? I have the exact machine and just lost communication.

If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jderou View Post
    I know this thread is old, but what was the solution? I have the exact machine and just lost communication.
    Don't assume that all is the same. Completely describe "your" problem. Like when it started and what if anything was changed. What the exact setting you are using. That way we can give a better response.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't assume that all is the same. Completely describe "your" problem. Like when it started and what if anything was changed. What the exact setting you are using. That way we can give a better response.

Mike
    My problem is exactly as OP described, machine is the same model & year, and the same steps have been done to diagnose. Most likely source of the problem is the communication board at this point but I would like to know if the OP figured it out.

If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Downloads
    Uploads

...How long is your Cable?
    Is it Shielded?
    Are you using a USB to Serial adapter? If, Yes this is probably the problem if, its a cheap one.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=serial+PCI

What O/S are you using Winblows 10 or 7 or what?

Last edited by machinehop5; 01-17-2021 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Link

Downloads
    Uploads

cable was long but I made a shorter one for testing. I tested the cable and adapter by transferring programs to another PC. Windows 10 running Cimco. Just transferred a program to the machine earlier in the day ok.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't say I did not try to help. Doubt your problem is "Exactly" the same. Your control is Sinumeric? It has been giving interminably troubles like his for years?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jderou View Post
    cable was long but I made a shorter one for testing. I tested the cable and adapter by transferring programs to another PC. Windows 10 running Cimco. Just transferred a program to the machine earlier in the day ok.
    ...Thats good to hear back you found the problem and yes long Cables can cause problems. For long distances you might check out getting RS232 to IP way or even get a Wireless type.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...to+IP&_sacat=0
    You could try setting the Stop Bits to 2 also can help sometimes.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't say I did not try to help. Doubt your problem is "Exactly" the same. Your control is Sinumeric? It has been giving interminably troubles like his for years?
    Sinumeric? A machine of the same vintage experiencing the same problem likely could have the same issue. I was hoping to hear from the OP and get some closure to the thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...Thats good to hear back you found the problem and yes long Cables can cause problems. For long distances you might check out getting RS232 to IP way or even get a Wireless type.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...to+IP&_sacat=0
    You could try setting the Stop Bits to 2 also can help sometimes.

Cheers
    I re-read that post and I realize it sounds like shortening the cable fixed the problem. To clarify I transferred a program earlier in the day with the long cable before the port stopped working. I made a shorter cable and tested everything to make sure the adapter and cable were good, still no luck. Calling HAAS this morning. Probably the $4k cpu board unfortunately.

Downloads
    Uploads

...Haas says 4K for the CPU board ouch. Better check a few more things before getting a new board.
    https://cnc-specialty-store.com/rs23...male-to-female

Is the CNC Machine earth grounded correctly ?
    Is the PC Grounded correctly?
    https://www.google.com/search?client...+outlet+tester
    Homemade Cables can be problematic sometimes...double check it, then have someone else check it for sure.

Good luck

Downloads
    Uploads

That tester would have saved me hours, going to pick one up for sure. Will check the machine grounding but the PC is a laptop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some truly bizarre things going on with this control I think, but I have it working again (sort of).
    Here is the process I went through (much abbreviated, swearing omitted).

the RS232 cable on my machine was plugged into the CPU board. I was told by HAAS that it should plug into the video board (why are there two, how does it know, worked before, etc.). I moved the plug from the CPU board to the video board and immediately had communication, though it was random characters. I attempted to get the settings correct with no luck so I moved the connector back to the CPU. No communication again.

One of the last things I had done before it stopped working was turn setting 87 on (m06 resets feed override), should have nothing to do with rs232 but last ditch effort I turned it back off. Communication started working!! but with the random characters. Purely by chance I discovered that the control is only communicating at 4800 baud and no parity , regardless of what is set in the parameters! I was able to transfer a program with the control set at 38400 and the PC at 4800.
    This has me pretty concerned that something is going south, but I dont know what could cause this. Haas said they never heard of it. I did replace the power supply just to be safe but it didn't help.

Fast forward a couple days and the control has changed to 9600 baud, though set at 38400.

I ended up getting a usb-floppy emulator and I am not disappointed, large file transfer is much faster than even the 38400 that I used to be able to transfer at. I am still concerned that this was a sign that something is failing.