Need Help! My Haas Mini Mill won't retain date/time...

Thread: My Haas Mini Mill won't retain date/time...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Haas Mini Mill won't retain date/time...

I purchased the Mini Mill new in 2001.

My Mini Mill won't retain date/time when I turn the machine off. When I restart the machine the date is 06-26-2066 and the time is 26:66:00 ( Back to the Future? ). I am not having any other issues besides the date/time retention.

I can set the Date/Time in DEBUG, POS-RAW-DATA page and it is fine as long as the machine is on.

This is how I set the date and time, in DEBUG mode, POS-RAW-DATA page;
    SD mm dd yy
    ST hh mm ss

Originally, I thought that my Mini Mill had a battery issue even though there was not a “Low Battery” alarm. I borrowed and installed 93-32-4307 KIT, PCB, Dual Battery Replacement Kit with new batteries to see if it would resolve my date and time retention. The Dual Battery Kit did not make a difference for the date and time retention. (BTW, my original battery still has a voltage of 3.11v)

I called my HFO for assistance and they sent me the procedure to set the date/time which I already knew how to do. I called them back and have not receive a return call... yet. I then call the Haas Factory and they said I probably need to clear my BBU-RAM.

So... I cleared my BBU-RAM by starting my Mini Mill and holding PRGRM CONVRS button until the memory screen displayed. Then I type M 3000D6C 300FFFF and pressed enter. The "Memory Test Passed" scrolled on the screen. I then went thru the Initializing, reloading all parameters, settings, offsets, macro varibles, and programs.

Same problem... I can set the Date/Time in DEBUG, and it is fine as long as the machine is on. Next time I turn the machine on, the date is "Back to the Future", 06-26-2066 and the time is 26:66:00

Any ideas...?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by mgsanchez; 02-08-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Haas Mini Mill won't retain date/time...

Ok, I think I know why my Mini Mill won’t retain it’s date/time. I believe that the battery is dead in the Dallas DS1286 IC chip. It is in an IC socket and it is just a matter of removing it and replacing it, no soldering required. It is located right next to the main battery that causes the low battery alarm. Really inexpensive at $4~$8.

I would like to thank John-100. His post #45 in this thread mention that it was a “real time clock/watchdog”. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas-m...battery-4.html

Did some addition research and found out that the Dallas DS1286 chip has an internal battery. I will get one ordered this weekend and swap it out as soon as I receive it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Haas Mini Mill won't retain date/time...

Just a follow up to let everyone know that I was able fix my Real Time Clock (RTC) issue.

I found some New Old Stock DS1286’s on EBay. I purchased 5 for $25 including shipping. They had older date codes, 2 from 1996 and 3 from 1997. The reason I purchased 5 was to make sure I would get at least one with a good battery. The first one I bench tested showed a voltage of 3.02v. It was good so I installed it in my Mini Mill. I started the Mini Mill and my clock works again!

I bench tested my original DS1286 and the battery was in fact dead (0.22v). This doesn’t appear to be a common problem, but I hope it can help someone else that is experiencing issues with their RTC.