Just purchased VF2 -- now waiting for it to arrive -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased VF2 -- now waiting for it to arrive -

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just purchased VF2 -- now waiting for it to arrive -

Just ordered a VF2 yesterday ... expect it to be 3 ~ 4 weeks for delivery.

- I am excited about having this new piece of machinery, and looking for the best forum to communicate with other HAAS users.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just purchased VF2 -- now waiting for it to arrive -

Congratulations.

I haven't looked for another Haas forum, but this one is not too bad. Not a whole lot of traffic, but does get some.
    I had all my questions answered pretty quickly about a new Mini Mill.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulation I'm plumbing in a air dryer on my TM1P, Haas told me it will affect the warrenty on the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

All of my equipment was begging for an air dryer. Last year I did the whole shop plumbing with Maxline air system. I have had to replace several regulators in the past due to moisture damage.
    I had to buy another compressor earlier this year too, so it was time to install a refrigerated dryer.
    I bought one like this.
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...iABEgI43vD_BwE

Fantastic having zero (moisture) in the air past the dryer. At least none that you can detect.

Last edited by LeeWay; 12-03-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

- I have a couple of CNC plasma tables... and the air dryer has been part of our regimen for a few years. I have both refrigerated and desiccant dryers. Interesting about the spindle warranty -- your TM has an Air Cooled spindle... my VF2 has a liquid cooled spindle.... I almost purchased a TM-2p ... but at the last minute changed to the VF2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what CNC you're coming from but I just got my VF2 in the garage about 3 months ago. I came from Tormach and couldnt be happier. Did you get WIPS or any other options? It was the only option I got and Im loving it.

Since ive been running it, the two things I know I need to upgrade to are HSM option and chip conveyor. HSM trial makes things pretty obvious for my parts its really needed. Chip conveyor because I can fill the machine to the point MUST clean things out in about 30min if I have a real long LOC. For now I really need to do something with a roughing/finishing so I'm not just making pillows of chips.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dallas,
    I have had a Tormach PCNC-1100 ... with Tool Changer, and 4th Axis for a few years... but honestly I have not used it very much. (Mach crashed about a year ago, I ordered a Path Pilot PC, but have not used it.

* My Options *
    - 4th Axis Drive and wiring (not the actual 4th axis... just ready)
    - WIPS
    - Chip Auger
    - Automatic Air Gun
    - 24 Pull Studs

-- I thought about doing the HSM (and it would not have taken any arm twisting)... but the HAAS sales guys suggested I wait and try it with the trial... then to it later if I want to.... I "Really" wish I had the 4th axis.... and I could have, but decided to wait.

We do general metal fabrication, and have a couple of CNC plasma tables... and a Waterjet .... the Tormach was just used for internal stuff. We are expanding now, and have added a lathe, and now this mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are on the right path, a great machine and a good option list.

Dallas J..no chip auger..dude step up The chip augers suck but none would be hard to take for sure.
    Give one of these a try (for aluminum), you will be able to raise your feed rate and it will reduce the chips to coffee grounds
    The mess in the picture is from a 3inch fly cutter @.330 depth. So a enclosure full of .330 curly ques
    Gary
    https://www.carbidecart.com/collecti...d-back+030-rad

Just purchased VF2 -- now waiting for it to arrive --_dsc1651-2-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dallas - (or anyone else with VF2) ... Did you hire riggers to move your VF2 into shop ...? I am curious to hear about others experience with delivery / setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

The truck just shows up at the street, up to you to get it in. Your dealer would be able to give you contact of riggers in your area.
    Always seems like too much money but unless you have the equipment and experience its just one of those things you pay for..but shop around a bit of course
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    The truck just shows up at the street, up to you to get it in. Your dealer would be able to give you contact of riggers in your area.
    Always seems like too much money but unless you have the equipment and experience its just one of those things you pay for..but shop around a bit of course
    Gary
    The riggers charged me $1700.00 for the TM1P they removed it off the Haas truck on site. (Canadian bucks)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats Herrmc on your purchase, I got a VF-2SSYT in my garage here too. I paid 1800 USD for rigging from a company that was "certified" by my HFO I have a long, sloped drive way and it was a very tight fit to get in the garage. The machine was shipped directly to the rigging company and they warehoused until delivery date, which made it a whole lot less stressful as far as weather is concerned. Haas applications engineer is awesome and actually attended the the entire delivery. I would not skimp here or try to DIY. There's just too much at stake; your machine, your property, and your limbs. If you do any kind of 3d or "adaptive" tool paths you will need HSM. The machine movement is disappointing without HSM on these type of tool paths. The salesmen are more likely to push for hardware upgrades that can't easily upgraded later because they already know you will be buying HSM later . I sometimes split up programs just so I can turn off the trial on and off to make it last as long as possible. If you are going to be using "modern" high feed, low radial full depth tool paths you will need HSM. You definitely made a wise choice with the probing and the auger. The slope toward the auger is not steep enough so you still have to pull the chips toward it every now and then but not having it would be complete misery. I'`d consider the triple auger if I bought again. For pull studs, I get mine from Maritool. They are only about $15. I actually get all my tooling from them and I'm very pleased with quality and price.

Last edited by Gilmax; 12-04-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for the feedback so far.

-- I have been used to moving my own equipment for a long time. I have a large forklift (not large enough though).... I think that I agree on the wisdom of hiring it done. I have received the name of a rigging company, and will be getting estimates. My move should be very easy ... basically pick it up and drive it straight in... big wide door, no obstructions etc.

-- The sales folks at the HFO have been very easy to work with, and have not been pushy about anything so far... for the HSM ... they told me that it would be better to enable it (200 hour trial)... and then purchase if I liked it.

-- I am obsessing now over going ahead and ordering an HRT210 rotary ... They are 12.5% off till the end of the year ... and seems like it would add a ton of capability...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for the feedback so far.

-- I have been used to moving my own equipment for a long time. I have a large forklift (not large enough though).... I think that I agree on the wisdom of hiring it done. I have received the name of a rigging company, and will be getting estimates. My move should be very easy ... basically pick it up and drive it straight in... big wide door, no obstructions etc.

-- The sales folks at the HFO have been very easy to work with, and have not been pushy about anything so far... for the HSM ... they told me that it would be better to enable it (200 hour trial)... and then purchase if I liked it.

-- I am obsessing now over going ahead and ordering an HRT210 rotary ... They are 12.5% off till the end of the year ... and seems like it would add a ton of capability...
    Yes the Haas people are good. As for the rotary it will all come down to the parts and quantity you want to make. What do you want to make? I have only made a few parts that I wish I had a rotary to save on setups and all, but most of my parts are low run and simple enough where its not worth it, or just too large. It's tempting to save the %12.5 but Haas seems to run 7.5-12.5% off promos a few times a year during certain events like IMTS. This year they had a Haas tech day sale, and on there site they say hurry before the sale ends and then right after it ends then the "End of year sale" came which was an even better deal. They run sales so often that I would never buy a machine without a promo unless I absolutely couldn't wait. It's obviously not guaranteed they continue sales but they certainly are not letting up at all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by herrmc View Post
    Just ordered a VF2 yesterday ... expect it to be 3 ~ 4 weeks for delivery.

- I am excited about having this new piece of machinery, and looking for the best forum to communicate with other HAAS users.
    Congratulations . I just suggest do not use TSC in this machine for your machine better life

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zabeer1001 - What is "TSC" ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by herrmc View Post
    Zabeer1001 - What is "TSC" ?
    Trough spindle coolant

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gilmax -- I do not have a set list of parts that I make (yet), ... we operate mostly as a "Job Shop". Some of the parts I have need for here for myself are so simple that it seems silly ... but yet those parts alone should pay the payment on my purchase.

-- That is good info about the frequency of the sales... it would probably be wise for me to get settled in with what I have before adding to it.

-- I do still have my Tormach 1100 with rotary that I could work with if rotary was needed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it was pretty much just one year ago in December I decided I was going to buy my machine because they were running 10% off. Then just a few months later pretty much all their VF machines got a price reduction of a few thousand dollars without a sale, then in spring time they ran a 5% off sale so the price in the end was the same as I paid with my "glorious" 10% off, Now they are bringing 10% off in addition to cheaper pricing. So now the same machine is actually cheaper than when I bought it and comes with 30 tools standard along with a servo for the side mount as well. But hey, it pushed me to make a purchase and made me a lot of money so it all worked out. I noticed Haas now offers a through spindle coolant prep upgrade in case you want to upgrade later, that's one option I may have gotten because I could not afford or justify through spindle coolant at the time but I can see myself using in the future. Then again, its money that could just be used toward another machine instead. Anyways good luck with your purchase. I found it hard to go back to working on my Tormach after getting my Haas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right on Herrmc. I just moved up from a tormach 1100 to a VM3 also. It got released from haas today. I think it should be delivered next thursday! When do you get yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast