Tell Me About My 7.5 HP 7500 Spindle (1994 VF3)

Thread: Tell Me About My 7.5 HP 7500 Spindle (1994 VF3)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tell Me About My 7.5 HP 7500 Spindle (1994 VF3)

I have access to a 1994 VF3 with 7.5 HP, 7500 RPM spindle. I am doing wood working on it, and after experimentation I am scared to go over 6,000 RPM. And I even think that's pushing it a little. Mainly because of the sound. It seems like maybe the bearings are tired, although its possible my holders are out of balance (short ER32 chucks). Looking in the back I notice there is no spindle chiller or spindle lube tank, so I assume it has greased bearings. Is that right? Anyone with any advice? Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tell Me About My 7.5 HP 7500 Spindle (1994 VF3)

I have a 1994 VF1 (7500rpm) which has spindle lube carried by oil mist, more or less the same as the newer machines. However this old mill drinks oil and it likes to accumulate within the spindle which is very bad. We have to use the "spindle run-in" program which circulates the accumulated oil out from the spindle and allows it to run at higher speeds. It's always very noticeable because the spindle gets extremely hot if we didn't perform the run-in program, afterwards the temperature is more normal. But that run-in program takes hours to complete..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    I have a 1994 VF1 (7500rpm) which has spindle lube carried by oil mist, more or less the same as the newer machines. However this old mill drinks oil and it likes to accumulate within the spindle which is very bad. We have to use the "spindle run-in" program which circulates the accumulated oil out from the spindle and allows it to run at higher speeds. It's always very noticeable because the spindle gets extremely hot if we didn't perform the run-in program, afterwards the temperature is more normal. But that run-in program takes hours to complete..
    I appreciate the note. I should look again... I noticed the lube tank, which I believe is way lube, but I didn't notice a spindle oil tank, but maybe there is one and I didn't look hard enough. I know Haas has several spindles, but its hard to believe they have more than one 7500 RPM version. Most CNC builders tend to cluster around several finite and obvious option choices. My machine has a "spindle run in" program as well (or maybe its "warm up?"). Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Haas uses Mobil Vactra #2 for lubricating linear guides, ball-screws, and the spindle. It all comes from the same lube pump. On the newer machines, they have moved to grease for the guides and ball-screws, but seem to still use oil for the spindle.

As for your machine, Ydna, that seems awfully odd that the spindle takes that much oil. I wonder if the lube pump is/was not properly setup and is just pumping oil constantly. Hmmm....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    some spindles has a set screw in the side to help drain excess oil when running that program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all for the help. This machine def. has the lube tank, so it must also be for the spindle. Appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes to my knowledge, same oil and same reservoir fill tank.

Downloads
    Uploads

A set screw in the side of the spindle, you say? I would be curious to hear more about that. I didn't know such a thing was available.

This old mill leak oil from the spindle nose if left non-running for a week or so. It starts to very slowly drip after that amount of inactivity (like 1 drop per hour). Obviously there's a bad seal somewhere in the mix, though to be honest this mill isn't a huge priority, it's kinda on the chopping block since replacement parts are difficult to find.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't matter what vintage or year your machine was built. All of the none grease packed spindles are suppose to leak oil out of the nose of it while running. There should be a air valve and small regulator coming off of the lube tank. Once you command a spindle speed for the spindle to run the air valve turns on and you should see air pressure on that regulator. That pressure should be set at 15-17 Psi. If it's less you're sending too much oil to the spindle. If the air pressure is too high you'll starve the spindle of lube. The factory wants that pressure set at 15-17 Psi. Also there is a metering valve coming off of the regulator assembly which affects the oil flow to spindle. If you're sending too much oil to the spindle and then you let it sit for awhile any oil left will gravity drain out. Hope this helped. I've been a Haas service tech for 12 yrs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HFO Tech View Post
    It doesn't matter what vintage or year your machine was built. All of the none grease packed spindles are suppose to leak oil out of the nose of it while running. There should be a air valve and small regulator coming off of the lube tank. Once you command a spindle speed for the spindle to run the air valve turns on and you should see air pressure on that regulator. That pressure should be set at 15-17 Psi. If it's less you're sending too much oil to the spindle. If the air pressure is too high you'll starve the spindle of lube. The factory wants that pressure set at 15-17 Psi. Also there is a metering valve coming off of the regulator assembly which affects the oil flow to spindle. If you're sending too much oil to the spindle and then you let it sit for awhile any oil left will gravity drain out. Hope this helped. I've been a Haas service tech for 12 yrs.
    Great info, thank you! A little off topic, but given your professional experience, is there a quick way to reduce backlash on the VF3's table? I can put an indicator on the t-slot, and with my hand, pushing and pulling on the y-axis, get 0.005" out of it!

Regards,
    Bravin Neff

Downloads
    Uploads

But does it come back to "zero".

Last edited by shuwal; 11-14-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: removing link from post

Downloads
    Uploads

yes