Need Help! Haas VF-1 2012 High Voltage Transformer

Thread: Haas VF-1 2012 High Voltage Transformer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas VF-1 2012 High Voltage Transformer

Hi Everyone !
    It my first post on this forum, so I hope I posted it in correct section if not, I apologize !
    I recently bought used Haas VF-1 Mill for prototyping and to work on my hobby projects. I have it set up in my garage. Does anybody else using these machines in their garages ? My machine came with internal high voltage transformer (480V) 3 phase. The problem is that I only have 240V single phase 200A in my garage, and no way of upgrading to 3 phase through my power company..
    Also I noticed that transformer output shows 240V and 120V..

I have couple of questions:

1. Can I just remove transformer and simply connect 240V 3-phase power to the wires that goes to the transformer output TB2 ? And take 1 phase and 1 neutral for 120V and connect to output TB1 ?
    Is TB1 output should be 120V 3 phase ?

2. I understand that I need to convert my 240V single phase to 240V 3 phase with phase converter. I did some reading on the forums and it seems that there are two kinds of people, one is totally against rotary converters and recommend only "perfect phase" digital converter, the other ones have no problem using rotary ones..
    I personally lean more towards American Rotary AD digital series rotary converter since price difference with perfectphase is almost $6k !
    Does any of you run their machine with these American rotary converter and if so, do you have any issues with power output ?

Is this internal transformer only lowers voltage from 480V down to 240V and 120V or its also used to filter and stabilize the output power ?
    If your haas came wired for 240V, could you please maybe take a picture of the inside wiring and send it to me ?

Thanks guys !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas VF-1 2012 High Voltage Transformer

The 10hp phase perfect converter will work fine unless you plan on cutting over 100% continually, at least for 20hp machines. I have a vf2 with a 10hp phase perfect and have had no issues. The 10HP phase perfect has a 4 second 150A rating, which handles accel just fine. If my calcs are correct, the 10hp PP is at rated capacity when your machine is at 100% load. Its pretty easy to limit accel if needed.

As far as rotary vs electronic, my opinion is that the electronics don't really care, as the main thing is that the 3 phase bridge in the vector drive is receiving mostly balanced power, otherwise 2 sets of diodes gets overworked. I suppose a rotary that is too small could bog down, causing imbalance, but I don't know for sure.

As for how to do with the transformer, you really need to just buy the right transformer from HAAS on this one. That way you can properly adjust your incoming voltage to fit the machine, have all the proper taps, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by erikfriesen View Post
    The 10hp phase perfect converter will work fine unless you plan on cutting over 100% continually, at least for 20hp machines. I have a vf2 with a 10hp phase perfect and have had no issues. The 10HP phase perfect has a 4 second 150A rating, which handles accel just fine. If my calcs are correct, the 10hp PP is at rated capacity when your machine is at 100% load. Its pretty easy to limit accel if needed.

As far as rotary vs electronic, my opinion is that the electronics don't really care, as the main thing is that the 3 phase bridge in the vector drive is receiving mostly balanced power, otherwise 2 sets of diodes gets overworked. I suppose a rotary that is too small could bog down, causing imbalance, but I don't know for sure.

As for how to do with the transformer, you really need to just buy the right transformer from HAAS on this one. That way you can properly adjust your incoming voltage to fit the machine, have all the proper taps, etc.
    Hi erikfriesen,
    Thanks a lot for the information!
    I have 40HP vector drive on my machine.
    At this point I don't plan on putting 100% load on the spindle, but in case I ever need it, it would be nice to have that capability. So, you think Haas rates their machines higher than actual HP or its phase perfect that rates their converters lower ?
    Do you think 20HP phase perfect would be enough to run my 40HP spindle ?
    **About the transformer,
    I have no problem buying correct transformer from Haas, but what I'm trying to find out if Haas VF series mils that comes wired for 240V and 3 phase from factory do have transformer inside or not.. I couldn't find that information on diy.haas website or anywhere on the net..

Best regards,
    Nick Pyat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklinux View Post
    Hi erikfriesen,
    Thanks a lot for the information!
    I have 40HP vector drive on my machine.
    At this point I don't plan on putting 100% load on the spindle, but in case I ever need it, it would be nice to have that capability. So, you think Haas rates their machines higher than actual HP or its phase perfect that rates their converters lower ?
    Do you think 20HP phase perfect would be enough to run my 40HP spindle ?
    **About the transformer,
    I have no problem buying correct transformer from Haas, but what I'm trying to find out if Haas VF series mils that comes wired for 240V and 3 phase from factory do have transformer inside or not.. I couldn't find that information on diy.haas website or anywhere on the net..

Best regards,
    Nick Pyat.

Yes they use a transformer, you will need the correct transformer from the HFO or you might get lucky and find one on ebay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tlarson View Post
    Yes they use a transformer, you will need the correct transformer from the HFO or you might get lucky and find one on ebay
    Thanks for the information Tlarson!
    I've contacted Haas and they do have 240-260V transformer for my machine.
    I soon will have my 480V HV transformer listed on eBay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Nicklinux, I was wanting to know what you ended up doing here. I have also purchased a haas mini mill that came with the 480 high voltage transformer. I am trying to convert it to the lower 208/240 voltage to run on single phase. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

mech1atgsk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mech1atgsk View Post
    Hello Nicklinux, I was wanting to know what you ended up doing here. I have also purchased a haas mini mill that came with the 480 high voltage transformer. I am trying to convert it to the lower 208/240 voltage to run on single phase. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

mech1atgsk
    I end up buying low voltage internal transformer and changing T5 24VAC contactor transformer. I also use PT-380 phase perfect to get 3 phase 240V from single phase 240V. After powering up the machine, everything was working fine for approx 5 min, then I heard loud pop noice and bunch of smoke.. opened electrical cabinet and found fried Y axis driver.. disconnected driver and power up machine, went to settings screen and disabled Y axis servo completely. Replaced amplifier and everything was working fine for a week until one morning, when I powered up mill and heard same loud pop noice from the cabinet followed by the clouds of smoke.. this time 2 servo amps exploded.. I still don’t know what causing it to blow.. One thing I noticed though, my spindle vector drive producing power for servo amplifiers and it was supposed to be 325VDC, but mine was around 348VDC.. i know it’s totally normal since incoming voltage passing through vector drive internal rectifier will be = 248VAC ( incoming power to the machine) x 1.414 = 350VDC.. I haven’t powered it up since both amplifiers are dead now and I don’t know what actually caused it. I’m putting everything back to 480v and getting step-up transformer from american rotary. I would recommend getting step up transformer since it’s cheapest way and that way you don’t mess with internal electronics on your machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there first time here. I am actually looking for Internal High-Voltage Isolated Transformer
    Which happens to be in your machine as I have a 380v 3ph power at my shop.

BZCnc , Do you still need this conversion! !?!? I have a 2013 VF3 coming that has the High voltage transformer and T5 transformer, and my shop is only 208 3ph what year and model is your machine??

if a compatible year range we could do a direct swap. (if BZ does not reply and anyone else here would like to swap or has the 240v components mentioned above please let me know!!!)

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer530 View Post
    BZCnc , Do you still need this conversion! !?!? I have a 2013 VF3 coming that has the High voltage transformer and T5 transformer, and my shop is only 208 3ph what year and model is your machine??

if a compatible year range we could do a direct swap. (if BZ does not reply and anyone else here would like to swap or has the 240v components mentioned above please let me know!!!)
    Thanks!!
    Did anyone get this conversion to work? I have 2 older VF2’s that have the high voltage transformer installed and my Rotary phase converter is a 45hp 230v 3ph

I’m not sure that I want to go from 230v to 460 via transformer then back to 230 with the Haas transformer. I’m not sure why I can’t just bypass the internal transformer completely Pull 115 from one leg and change the 24v coil for the power button

Quote Originally Posted by Metalcutter7 View Post
    Did anyone get this conversion to work? I have 2 older VF2’s that have the high voltage transformer installed and my Rotary phase converter is a 45hp 230v 3ph

I’m not sure that I want to go from 230v to 460 via transformer then back to 230 with the Haas transformer. I’m not sure why I can’t just bypass the internal transformer completely Pull 115 from one leg and change the 24v coil for the power button
    Hi Guys. I ended up finding a main low voltage transformer, T5 transformer and a 40 amp breaker on eBay. I installed everything today and is seems ok. If anyone needs the high voltage parts let me know oh have 2 sets to sale/trade.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 3 phase and need to change a 1997 VF2 machine over from 440 to 220. I already have another main transformer coming. I thought I might need the T5 small one as well. Are these the only two parts that need to be swapped to setup for regular 220v 3 phase?