Need Help! HAAS VF7 Chip Removal

Thread: HAAS VF7 Chip Removal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAAS VF7 Chip Removal

I am running into an issue with efficiently removing chips from the floor of my VF7 HAAS, the parts that are normally run on the machine produce a lot of chips and require at least two hours of clean up per 10 hour day. I have been trying to find something online for a coolant flush system for the floor specifically but I havent found much that is focused on the specific need. I was wondering if anyone had ideas or know of any systems designed for removing chips off of a Vertical CNC's floor. The chips are pretty heavy and I would prefer they all get blown into the chip auger continuously when I am running these parts.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAAS VF7 Chip Removal

Quote Originally Posted by wsquire View Post
    I am running into an issue with efficiently removing chips from the floor of my VF7 HAAS, the parts that are normally run on the machine produce a lot of chips and require at least two hours of clean up per 10 hour day. I have been trying to find something online for a coolant flush system for the floor specifically but I havent found much that is focused on the specific need. I was wondering if anyone had ideas or know of any systems designed for removing chips off of a Vertical CNC's floor. The chips are pretty heavy and I would prefer they all get blown into the chip auger continuously when I am running these parts.
    I don't have any pictures, but at one time I fabricated up a coolant wash to do exactly what you are looking for. I ran a piece of 3/4" PVC tubing at the bottom and across the back wall of the enclosure ( I only did one side) drilling small holes across the length for coolant to jet out of. I piped the supply up next to the Z axis rails and out the back. For my system I just tapped into the main coolant pump supply, but I found that the stock pump couldn't deliver the volume that my setup required resulting in a loss of pressure at the programmable coolant spigot. I managed to run for a little while with this setup and it did a very good job of keeping the chips flushed into the auger trough. I later pulled it out after the job was done and due to the hassle of the pressure drop for the coolant delivery to the tool.

There might be things you can do the help alleviate the pressure drop at the spindle, but if I were to incorporate that system again, I would install a second pump and tie it into the same start circuit as the main pump.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the idea, I will look into the cost of doing that.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is called a washdown system.
    Very simple to do, just do it apart from the machine.

Use a suitable pump, and high-pressure plastic lines with suitable nozzles.
    Plastic wont corrode or react to stuff.
    Think of a pressure washer (industrial excavation pump), with lower pressure.

Large volume = better results.
    Something industrial, like a pond pump, that can eat marbles without harm.
    They are not expensive.

Use high power for good results.
    Ie you want something 2-4 hp or more, rated for 24x7 use.
    Again, its not expensive, when you buy industrial stuff.

I would expect == 1000 usd for the full thing.
    Pump, tubes, nozzles, relays.
    I would expect 5-10 years service interval for a well done system.

Bigger feed pipes = better.
    Less losses. Less power. Less issues.
    Use prefilters before nozzles, or well-filtered coolant.

Downloads
    Uploads

I`m working on one to do just that wash down the floor in a vf4ss.. I`m tired of all the alum chips building up all the time ,,,, I picked up a well pump to put next to the back of the sump and plan to use 11/2" pipe with holes in it. I have hooked up a momentary foot switch , I don`t want wet hands on the power switch, I want lots of flow with low pressure ,,, the pickup for the pump has about .090 holes in it and the pipe will get .125 holes so it should be self cleaning ... I plan to start with 1/8" holes about every 2" along the pipe then drill them out bigger tell I get lots of flow with low pressure . I can test it in the driveway with a trash can full of water before I put in the machine,,,
    you can build one out of home depot for about $300

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    I`m working on one to do just that wash down the floor in a vf4ss.. I`m tired of all the alum chips building up all the time ,,,, I picked up a well pump to put next to the back of the sump and plan to use 11/2" pipe with holes in it. I have hooked up a momentary foot switch , I don`t want wet hands on the power switch, I want lots of flow with low pressure ,,, the pickup for the pump has about .090 holes in it and the pipe will get .125 holes so it should be self cleaning ... I plan to start with 1/8" holes about every 2" along the pipe then drill them out bigger tell I get lots of flow with low pressure . I can test it in the driveway with a trash can full of water before I put in the machine,,,
    you can build one out of home depot for about $300
    You ever get this set up?