haas VF2 spindle noise (sound clip included) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: haas VF2 spindle noise (sound clip included)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have followed this little discussion about thermal effects with some amusement. I think this is the third iteration in the almost nine years I have been on CNCzone. Maybe I should put a reminder in my phone to watch for the next one sometime in 2017.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I have followed this little discussion about thermal effects with some amusement. I think this is the third iteration in the almost nine years I have been on CNCzone. Maybe I should put a reminder in my phone to watch for the next one sometime in 2017.
    I would have guessed much more than 3 in that time!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

back on topic.... oiling and water in my air supply is not the cause or the problem behind my symptoms.

also the reason of why something is failing is not anywhere near as much of a concern to me as:
    1- what is failing and causing the noise
    2- is it critical that I address it now or just run it till it gets worse
    3- how much will this repair cost if I call in a haas tech (we have no warranty on the machine)
    and
    4- how long would I expect for my machine to be down while these repairs are being performed, this is the only cnc machine we have in our shop and Is kinda the backbone of our production.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dumpybunny View Post
    back on topic.... oiling and water in my air supply is not the cause or the problem behind my symptoms.

also the reason of why something is failing is not anywhere near as much of a concern to me as:
    1- what is failing and causing the noise
    2- is it critical that I address it now or just run it till it gets worse
    3- how much will this repair cost if I call in a haas tech (we have no warranty on the machine)
    and
    4- how long would I expect for my machine to be down while these repairs are being performed, this is the only cnc machine we have in our shop and Is kinda the backbone of our production.
    1. I am not able to listen to your sound clip, but from the discussion is appears to be a bad spindle bearing
    2. If you are still getting good finishes run it till it gets worse or at least until you have a more convenient time to fix it, because it WILL get worse if it is a bearing.
    3. If memory serves correctly, a new spindle will be about $3k with your old spindle used as a core return + aprox 3-4 hrs labor (all depends on the tech)
    4. Expect to be down for 1 day or 1 shift. Once the new spindle is in, the tech will run a "Run-In" program which will go for about 6.5 hrs I believe.

Also, if they are old, this would be a good time to replace spindle belts and encoder belt. Probably another $300 in parts and not much extra in labor.

Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    1. I am not able to listen to your sound clip, but from the discussion is appears to be a bad spindle bearing
    2. If you are still getting good finishes run it till it gets worse or at least until you have a more convenient time to fix it, because it WILL get worse if it is a bearing.
    3. If memory serves correctly, a new spindle will be about $3k with your old spindle used as a core return + aprox 3-4 hrs labor (all depends on the tech)
    4. Expect to be down for 1 day or 1 shift. Once the new spindle is in, the tech will run a "Run-In" program which will go for about 6.5 hrs I believe.

Also, if they are old, this would be a good time to replace spindle belts and encoder belt. Probably another $300 in parts and not much extra in labor.

Good luck!
    thank you for being straight forward with your response. there wont necessarily be a 'better' or 'more convenient time' to have the machine down, but at any given time it wouldn't be an issue to have the machine down for a day or two. I was more concerned with the scenario that it takes two weeks to get a spindle and a week to perform the labor.

beside the noise everything is running as normal. surface finish is good, spindle load for familiar operations are the same as a couple years ago and nothing on the spindle is getting hot. if no more news comes up ill just keep an eye on it till something changes or gets worse.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are getting a chirping sound from a relatively new spindle, I can tell you with 100% ceretainty that it is simply what we cal "CAGE RATTLE" it does no harm and can be easily corrected. It is the amount of "bearing crush" that is set at factory. You can add, or subtract the amount of "preload" shim that is in their now and eliminate the noise totally. If you remove the bearing cap on the nose of the spindle, you will see a round shim with notches on the side of it which simply tells you how thick the shim is. simply cut some shim stock (.001") and start by removing the shim in there and install new shim that totals .002" less than it came with. Usually comes with a shim ring .004-.007" from the factory. reinstall cap and try it. You may have to do this several times til you get the proper amount and noise goes away. There is a proceedure we use in the field to check the crush and calculate the exact amount needed and we get it done the first shot but doing as i said above will work as well...good luck...If you were located close enopugh I would come show you the process....

Default Re: haas VF2 spindle noise (sound clip included)

Quote Originally Posted by dumpybunny View Post
    thank you for being straight forward with your response. there wont necessarily be a 'better' or 'more convenient time' to have the machine down, but at any given time it wouldn't be an issue to have the machine down for a day or two. I was more concerned with the scenario that it takes two weeks to get a spindle and a week to perform the labor.

beside the noise everything is running as normal. surface finish is good, spindle load for familiar operations are the same as a couple years ago and nothing on the spindle is getting hot. if no more news comes up ill just keep an eye on it till something changes or gets worse.
    I know this is an old thread but if you see this can you please tell me what the causes of the noise was for you’re vf2? I’m having the same noise on my vf4ss except not as loud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12