Swapping the a card driver to x

Thread: Swapping the a card driver to x

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Swapping the a card driver to x

I can't see a reason why not to do this other than the sticker that says a axis only. They are both 32-4070 cards. I don't use the a axis at all and don't see it happening in the new future. If this is a stupid move PLEASE let me know.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

All our machines are 1998 Vf-3's thru to a VF10. I keep a spare amplifier that can be used in any machine on any axis.

I don't recognise your part number so can't say for sure but it's fine for us.

Call HAAS and ask.

Downloads
    Uploads

In a previous thread a Haas Tech said that in the older brush machines you can't use the A axis card in another position.

What year is your machine?

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a 1994 vf2. Like I said they are all pn 32-4070 cards. The only difference is one has a sticker on it saying a axis only. All the others say xy or z.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    It is a 1994 vf2. Like I said they are all pn 32-4070 cards. The only difference is one has a sticker on it saying a axis only. All the others say xy or z.
    Then the tech said they are not to be swapped.

Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe the amp would function okay on another axis. I'm just concerned that whatever caused the other amp to fail may also damage the A-axis amp if it is swapped. The motors should be tested for shorting to ground. The motor power leads can be separated from the drivers and measured to the back wall of the cabinet. Both leads should read OL on each motor. If the bad amp is on X-axis, pull the Y-axis waycover from the saddle and look at the condition of the motor cable. Is the conduit broken? Is coolant getting into the conduit?

Steven Hawthorne
    Haas Automation, Inc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea . I kind of left that part out. I had a bad cable and motor with brushes too big and coolant that got in the motor some how. Any way I'm on the road to being fixed soon. New card gets here tomorrow. Already fixed cable and motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Swapping the a card driver to x

for the record the axis cards are marked according to the axis because they are calibrated by fixed resistors that set the motor current according to the requirements of the axis.
    So the board reference number is the same but the sticker shows which axis they are calibrated for.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by superstardeejay View Post
    for the record the axis cards are marked according to the axis because they are calibrated by fixed resistors that set the motor current according to the requirements of the axis.
    So the board reference number is the same but the sticker shows which axis they are calibrated for.
    Over 6 year old post.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know and still here for anyone to read if they need help.