SL-30 lathes

Thread: SL-30 lathes

Downloads
    Uploads

Question SL-30 lathes

I have 2 of these lathes and am getting a little ticked at them.
    One of them is in overheat alarm at least 10 times a shift.Changed the filter and rewired the fan to run always but still alarms. Any thoughts out there?
    Second machine gets low voltage alarm.I haved checked the incoming power and it is well within the 10 percent of the conections offered.I am at the lowest setting on the machine.Are there any bad things going to happen to my machine if I bump the voltage up at the transformer?If I get overvoltage will it alarm or will it crash and burn?
    Still like my Mori,s the best

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We had a sl-30 doing the same voltage thing. They set the parameter setting for the timer lower as a temp fix. Then it didn't happen as often. Left that job so I can't tell yoiu if they ever got it fixed. The timer was for how long it could be over/under volt. before it would alarm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you were having, but when I worked with SL-30s, we always had this problem with these big electrical circuits on the top (towards the back) that would essentially blow out completely. It looked like lightening back there. Basically it was because our chuck was really big, and while facing material, these circuits somehow were responsible for slowing the chuck down when the tool came back to the top to take another pass. Basically, we had to limit our facing and we tried to program everything to where there wouldn't be extreme highs and lows in terms of RPM.

Downloads
    Uploads

For the overheat alarm put a fan blowing on the regen resistors on top of the control cabinet.

On the machine with the low voltage alarm trying reducing the maximum spindle acceleration. There is parameter for this which is set at 195 out of the factory. Reduce it to 150 or so, the spindle will take a bit longer to get up to speed.

You might also check the size of the wire to the machine. I think the SL30 needs a 100 amp service; look at the rating on the back it will give maximum amps. This needs a hefty cable on the supply, 0 gauge or even double 0 and a lot of places cheap out and just use the smallest cable size to meet code. If the cable run is long you might be getting line drop.

Similarly check the transformer size. To supply the starting surge without dropping the voltage too much you need a transformer rated at least 50% greater than the machine's power draw; I like to go double.

If you are running several machines from the same transformer you can sometimes get two of them happen to pull maximum spindle acceleration at the same time especially running G96. This pulls the voltage down and one machine will drop out.