Coolant leaking into base

Thread: Coolant leaking into base

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Coolant leaking into base

I get a lot of coolant that passes through the machine base and out the drain hose in the back. Is there a good way to stop this? I tried putting a sheet of plastic that runs from the top of the column (just below the head) down to the Y cover. I attached it with magnets. It worked great, but it was a temporary solution.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What machine do you have?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is not normal. Check all of the coolant delivery lines and fittings. Yes, it will require some disassembly to get to every one. If you can plug all the exit points and use high pressure air to input, you may find one of more leaks. After that is trying to figure out where coolant is getting passed all the covers. Once you identify these leaks you have to repair covers, replace gaskets/sealant, or create barriers.

I have never operated a Haas that passed even one drop of coolant through the base. Hopefully you do not have a crack somewhere.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try clearing some of the lines...there is a line that drains back there that could get clogged and cause that issue. I had that happen to mine last year. Blew it out with the air hose and problem was fixed.

It is a line that actually goes to the coolant tank (from the top of the drain junction block above the catch can) that was clogged and so the base was getting a bunch of coolant staying in it and therefore draining into the oil catch can in the back of the machine. They put it there because every Haas gets coolant up in there -except for tx's machines

Also, it could be the direction of the coolant hoses hitting the wipers (possibly faulty wipers) and getting under and onto the base.

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had two Haas machines that leaked coolant out the back of the base. One was a MiniMill on which the caulking had been missed between the sheetmetal and the column. The other was a VF2 which had a burst coolant line near the top of the head where it flexes as the head moves. A high flow coolant pump can dump out a lot of coolant when it is running free flow from a 5/8" orifice for five minutes.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machining View Post
    I get a lot of coolant that passes through the machine base and out the drain hose in the back. Is there a good way to stop this? I tried putting a sheet of plastic that runs from the top of the column (just below the head) down to the Y cover. I attached it with magnets. It worked great, but it was a temporary solution.
    You didn't say how old your machine is.

The biggest source for coolant is the rear y-axis way cover. Older machines have a brass wiper that can get damaged or will wear to the point that coolant flows past. Another source is the vertical sides of the rear y-axis wiper where it meets the rear of the enclosure. There are adjustable plates on each side that you can adjust to close the gap. Also, keep chips from building up at this same location. A lot of chips in these corners seem to wick the coolant past the cover and into the base casting.

Also, if any of your way covers are damaged or have worn rubber wipers, you will get coolant getting past them.

Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Try clearing some of the lines...there is a line that drains back there that could get clogged and cause that issue. I had that happen to mine last year. Blew it out with the air hose and problem was fixed.
    Thank you! A 15 minute tech call and all kinds of suggestions and it turned out to be a clogged drain line.

The funny part is the timing. Ours is a late 2009 VF5 and within a month of this thread, it puked all over the floor. No more toxic waste spill.

Thanks again!

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My brass wipers were worn, which allowed the coolant past them. Easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I too had 1 go there, on a Vf3 where the hose is clamped on the head, there seams to be a pinch point there. Also went on 2 lathes at a clamping point,all 3 went in 3 months.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Coolant leaking into base

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post

It is a line that actually goes to the coolant tank (from the top of the drain junction block above the catch can) that was clogged and so the base was getting a bunch of coolant staying in it and therefore draining into the oil catch can in the back of the machine. They put it there because every Haas gets coolant up in there -except for tx's machines

Also, it could be the direction of the coolant hoses hitting the wipers (possibly faulty wipers) and getting under and onto the base.
    Thankyou sir!!! - Ive been dumping a little coolant pan daily since april- this seems to have fixed it!!!