locking the spindle to use a linear broach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locking the spindle to use a linear broach

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default locking the spindle to use a linear broach

I saw this on youtube. A Guy used his mill to machine out the ID bore of a sprocket then it used a linear broach to cut a key way. Has anyone done this with their Hass and if so is there a code to lock the spindle like during tool changing so you can broach with it.

Similar Threads:
    www.machmachine.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup. You need to have the Spindle Orientation option. There is no brake so it can't stand much torque. I don't have the manual handy or I'd look up the G-code.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have heard it referred to as the "pin shot" option. I guess it's a physical pin engagement as apposed to a proximity switch condition. But yes, I broach with my mill, just not the Haas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The M19 code is used to orient the spindle to a fixed position. This command leaves the spindle in that position and locked by a pin. The next spindle motion command (snnn, M3, M4, M41 or M42) will release the pin and unlock the spindle. This is from the HAAS VF3 1995 manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've done it on a number of different Haas'. No hard materials, though. 7075 was the hardest material that I did it on.

It's always done what I've needed it too...but yeah - they've always had spindle orient.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can you comand the spindle orientation or is it a set angle/position like the tool change.

www.machmachine.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default M19

Quote Originally Posted by dingo0722 View Post
    can you comand the spindle orientation or is it a set angle/position like the tool change.
    to set a angle use M19 with a P or R for the position.

For EX.

M19 R45.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dingo0722 View Post
    can you command the spindle orientation or is it a set angle/position like the tool change.
    Depends on if you have spindle orientation, which is an option. If you're not sure, type M19 P2. in MDI and see what happens. If you have a Renishaw probe, you will have spindle orient for sure.

Also, the shot pin thing, I believe, is year dependent. My '07 doesn't have a pin at all, it just uses the motor / encoder to keep the spindle at the commanded position. If you're looking for a super accurate toolpath, it may not do it because as it's holding position, it kind of vibrates like the resolution on the spindle encoder is real coarse.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

is this safe for the bearings? I dont think I would do it but was always curious if it was safe or not, heard rumors it is, heard rumors its not.

Delw

Downloads
    Uploads

Dingo, like others have said, you have to have the Spindle Orient option in order to be able to rotate the spindle to specific degrees...otherwise, it just holds at the tool change position (regular M19).

I've also seen the spindle flutter a bit under a normal M19 every now and then...I haven't seen it affect the probing cycle though...That is an odd qwerk.

Delw...that is a pretty good question...and why I only broach softer stuff...and even then, not very regularly. I certainly wouldn't think a Haas would last very long slamming a broaching tool into anything hard regularly...but I guess it would depend if it was harder (on the machine to broach...)than driving a big drill into something also...

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Concerning the spindle bearings, I think I would only do this once in awhile, and take very light passes...say .010" max per pass. I've not done this yet, but it would make me nervous broaching very much at all. If you have a lot of broaching to do, might as well buy the proper equipment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Dingo, like others have said, you have to have the Spindle Orient option in order to be able to rotate the spindle to specific degrees...otherwise, it just holds at the tool change position (regular M19).

I've also seen the spindle flutter a bit under a normal M19 every now and then...I haven't seen it affect the probing cycle though...That is an odd qwerk.

Delw...that is a pretty good question...and why I only broach softer stuff...and even then, not very regularly. I certainly wouldn't think a Haas would last very long slamming a broaching tool into anything hard regularly...but I guess it would depend if it was harder (on the machine to broach...)than driving a big drill into something also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Concerning the spindle bearings, I think I would only do this once in awhile, and take very light passes...say .010" max per pass. I've not done this yet, but it would make me nervous broaching very much at all. If you have a lot of broaching to do, might as well buy the proper equipment.

Thats what I was thinking, your slamming a big drill into a part peck drilling but its dead center on the bearings, however with a broach tool your hitting one side of that bearing unless you take full cut?

Delw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast