connecting old haas lathe or mill to network file share

Thread: connecting old haas lathe or mill to network file share

Downloads
    Uploads

Default connecting old haas lathe or mill to network file share

Hi,
    I'm experienced software engineer & sysadmin, trying to help my father connect his CNC machines to file share in order to distribute easier programs.

The machines are several HAAS super mini mill and a st-10 lathe. ALL of them are with the old control module/software — 2013-2015. The windows CE thing...

I've wired the machine, configured the network settings and it all looks good, but in the end I don't see the "network share" tab when I press the list program button.

The file server is ubuntu with samba, configured precisely to allow old windows ce 6.0 clients. I've upped the log level to max and there are no errors.

the smbstatus commad shows the clients connected and I'm out of ideas what to do next.

Here is example smbstatus output:

root@CUBI:~# smbstatus

Samba version 4.9.5-Debian
    PID Username Group Machine Protocol Version Encryption Signing
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2342 HAAS sambashare 192.168.1.105 (ipv4:192.168.1.105:55885) NT1 - -
    2327 HAAS sambashare _cerdrd64198a5 (ipv4:192.168.1.108:49154) NT1 - -

Service pid Machine Connected at Encryption Signing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROG 2327 _cerdrd64198a5 Tue Apr 12 06:42:52 PM 2022 EEST - -
    PROG 2342 192.168.1.105 Tue Apr 12 06:46:00 PM 2022 EEST - -

Locked files:
    Pid Uid DenyMode Access R/W Oplock SharePath Name Time
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2342 1002 DENY_NONE 0x100081 RDONLY NONE /home/HAAS . Tue Apr 12 18:46:00 2022

----------------
    IP 105 is my macbook, 108 is the haas mill.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: connecting old haas lathe or mill to network file share

You cannot connect old HAAS machines to a Linux SAMBA client. I have tried everything. They speak an old, quite insecure, version of SMBv1 that just doesn't exist anymore and was never compliant with CIFS standards, like SAMBA is. Even when using a Windows host, if you have certain security patches installed it won't be able to see connect to the NETSHARE.

I recommend using Win7\2008R2 vintage of OS. Then you must be careful to avoid any patches that apply to fixing vulnerabilities in SMBv1. Another amazing requirement is that the user account you are using to connect to the share must be local admin. Why? Nobody knows. You would think that you just need read\write permissions on the folder? Nope. Somehow that's not enough. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have seen it myself.

Your other option is updating the software on the controller. The various bugs and behavior has changed a lot over time. So depending upon the control software you have vs. the version of windows you are connecting to, there may be some settings you need to change via GPEdit.msc to get it to connect. HAAS used to have a list of these settings on their website but a lot of the legacy information has gone away over time. Basically, turn off all security related features.

Due to the obvious security concerns you need to have an enclave network that only has the machines and the server in it. You don't want any of these systems to have internet access. Air gap would be ideal. Just put them all on their own little switch. Static IP for everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: connecting old haas lathe or mill to network file share

Quote Originally Posted by Metrologist View Post
    You cannot connect old HAAS machines to a Linux SAMBA client. I have tried everything. They speak an old, quite insecure, version of SMBv1 that just doesn't exist anymore and was never compliant with CIFS standards, like SAMBA is. Even when using a Windows host, if you have certain security patches installed it won't be able to see connect to the NETSHARE.

I recommend using Win7\2008R2 vintage of OS. Then you must be careful to avoid any patches that apply to fixing vulnerabilities in SMBv1. Another amazing requirement is that the user account you are using to connect to the share must be local admin. Why? Nobody knows. You would think that you just need read\write permissions on the folder? Nope. Somehow that's not enough. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have seen it myself.

Your other option is updating the software on the controller. The various bugs and behavior has changed a lot over time. So depending upon the control software you have vs. the version of windows you are connecting to, there may be some settings you need to change via GPEdit.msc to get it to connect. HAAS used to have a list of these settings on their website but a lot of the legacy information has gone away over time. Basically, turn off all security related features.

Due to the obvious security concerns you need to have an enclave network that only has the machines and the server in it. You don't want any of these systems to have internet access. Air gap would be ideal. Just put them all on their own little switch. Static IP for everyone.
    Wow, I came to this forum for this issue and it was on a top thread because of how recent it was.

-- I'm also having problems bring my CHC Haas to my SMB server. I've been running a SMB server on a pi and allowing SMB1 access. I don't have any issues with my NGC machines, but the same credentials don't work on my CHC TM-3P.
    I created an "ADMIN" folder on the hard drive and the generated error.log report shows " (CE ERROR CODE 58).

I'm currently on the 200 hr trail mode of the network access, not sure if that changes anything.

Using the program "WireShark", I dont even see an attempt of the HAAS making a SMB connection.