Question about checking shell mill length on the Auto Tool Setter

Thread: Question about checking shell mill length on the Auto Tool Setter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question about checking shell mill length on the Auto Tool Setter

I just purchased a second haas mill that will be coming in the next few weeks, and it has a wireless tool setter on it which I'm really excited about.

In watching the videos on the tool setter when it's used with a shell mill I'm wondering how it works without either dulling the blades on shell mill, or how it doesn't create scratches grooves on the tool setter itself since the tool is spinning with it checks the height.

I'm assuming the round disk on the tool setter is made of hardened steel.... but wouldn't this dull the blades on the shell mill?

I know this is probably a dumb question.... but I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Kent

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question about checking shell mill length on the Auto Tool Setter

The disk is carbide. The tool turns backwards when in the setting cycle. There is almost no pressure applied to the sensor because the spring is very weak. Overall it works very well and is very accurate.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim...

That explains things...... Thank You...

a couple of follow up questions:

do you have any issues with either coolant leaking into the tool setter, or the wireless probe?

Any issues with chips catching and accumulating on the tool setter

And lastly.... have you had any issues with the wireless probe loosing it's accuracy as a result of banging around from the tool changer?

I probably sound like I'm trying to dream up potential problems on these tools... but I'm just curious if you have had any issues like this.

Thanks again Jim....

Kent

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    Thanks Jim...

That explains things...... Thank You...

a couple of follow up questions:

do you have any issues with either coolant leaking into the tool setter, or the wireless probe?
    No. But our tool setter lives in a box, in the machine tool box. We have actually never used it. The receiver is constantly splashed with coolant and we have not noted any leakage.

Any issues with chips catching and accumulating on the tool setter
    Since the tool setter normally is installed in a far corner of the table, there is little danger of chips catching it or doing any damage. When in use, any chips would be knocked off by the tool.

And lastly.... have you had any issues with the wireless probe loosing it's accuracy as a result of banging around from the tool changer?
    We only install install the probe when using it, the rest of the time it lives in the tool rack.

I probably sound like I'm trying to dream up potential problems on these tools... but I'm just curious if you have had any issues like this.
    The one problem we did have was a low battery in the probe, it kind of went crazy and there was no indication of a low battery. Took us a bit to figure it out.

Thanks again Jim....

Kent
    My Pleasure.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA