Recommendations for a quiet Air compressor for my Haas

Thread: Recommendations for a quiet Air compressor for my Haas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommendations for a quiet Air compressor for my Haas

I am running my shop out of my garage, and I am looking to upgrade my air compressor to a unit that will be much quieter than my current Husky brand unit.
    I work right by the air compressor and it's driving me nuts.... plus kicking off a tremendous amount of heat.

I'm currently running a Haas super mini mill, and will be adding a second Haas SMM machine soon.

So I'm just looking for some general suggestions on the style of compressor I should be looking at to try and get the sound issue down a bit.

I live in a cold climate so moving the unit outside isn't a good option, plus sound outside would not be good with the neighbors.

For reference my current unit specs:
    3.7HP
    155 PSI
    60 Gal

Thanks,

Kent

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Recommendations for a quiet Air compressor for my Haas

I believe California Air Tools has several that are considered quiet when compared to others in their category.

Downloads
    Uploads

couple items - I sent you a PM. I'm in the garage too, with my kid. A few factors include inrush current, AC 240 or 120 capacity, CFM, and duty-cycle. (as least as we found out).
    I looked at the California whisper stuff too. Nice enough, but then we started looking into rotatry screw and scroll compressors. My recommendation after nearly 1.5 years of use is the Eastwood scroll compressor. continuous duty, plenty of CFM, and you can add up to another 30-40 gal tank for expansion. (we did a 30 from that same cranky, noisy piston unit we decommissioned). They are nice units. The Amps draw was minimal for our delicate electrical service in rural area. It's really really quiet. Of course, the rotary screw compressor was a few $K more and had another 4 CFM on it. (from 9on the Eastwood to 12 on the rotary 5hp) and that's continuous duty. It runs hot. I'm still happy but that's just my advise. Some of the larger compressors have startup currents that can cause the 240 line an imblanace against the RPC wild-leg and it was causing us low phase errors on occasion when the compressor would start as a the spindle was cranking along. Anyway, lots to the story of 1gauge wire, putting compressor as close to box as we could, and upgrading to the eastwood 4hp 9 CFM. Thats my 3cent story. :-p

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You.... Thank You... Thank You !!!

You gave me some great info to get me pointed in the right direction...

I have 240 to my garage and running a phase perfect digital phase converter.... so I should be ok on the power ( except when it gets minus 30 degrees here in the winter.... our voltage drops a bit.... but we should be ok )

I've used Eastwood products in the past and have been very happy with the quality.

On a side note, when you said you did a 30 from the decommissioned unit did you mean that you used the old unit for extra air storage?

Thanks again for your help!

Kent

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    Thank You.... Thank You... Thank You !!!

You gave me some great info to get me pointed in the right direction...

I have 240 to my garage and running a phase perfect digital phase converter.... so I should be ok on the power ( except when it gets minus 30 degrees here in the winter.... our voltage drops a bit.... but we should be ok )

I've used Eastwood products in the past and have been very happy with the quality.

On a side note, when you said you did a 30 from the decommissioned unit did you mean that you used the old unit for extra air storage?

Thanks again for your help!

Kent
    Kaeser make a very nice rotary screw compressor they cost a little more but have a built in dry plus filtration which you need

https://us.kaeser.com/products-and-solutions/

Mactec54