HELP! My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively

Thread: HELP! My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation HELP! My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively

I have a TL-2 Lathe with a full chip enclosure. When I turn the coolant on full the machine leaks coolant out the back side and on to the floor. Does anyone know of a solution to this B.S. ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I hjave just about got my TL2 with enclosure into operation so I will look for this problem.

I did have leaks coming out the back on my TL1 and I traced it to the cross slide. Coolant was running down the tool post and onto the space between the ways then running back under the cross slide and dripping off the back end. I solved this by putting a piece of plastic as a screen over the front.

There were lots of other places coolant splashed out and we made plastic screens for several of them but in the end also added plastic drip trays under the machine and empty them every few weeks.

A significant 'leak' occurred once and it was because the coolant tank was not pushed far enough under the machine. The coolant draining down the slope on the casting did not drop straight down into the tank it clung to the casting, went around the curve at the bottom and discharged at an angle missing the tank. The same thing happened on my TL2 when I tested the coolant setup yesterday and I had to lift the tank up on blocks to catch the flow effectively.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ran a TL3 for a few months, and that machine went through 10-15 gallons of coolant per day. The machine was placed right near a floor drain, it was like dollar bills flushing away all day long.

The floor dry moat around the machine was a nice touch.

The entire coolant system design on those machines is a joke, but your probably no laughing about it are you.

It take forever to try and cure all the leaks, and then you run a new job and it leaks some wear else.

Live free or die

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I gave up using flood on my TL-1. I use a mist system when I need coolant. I do a lot of stuff dry. I was thinking of one of these unitshttp://www.tricocorp.com/products/product.aspx?c=5&p=67
    Seem like with its solenoid it could be wired into the coolant control system of the machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry

we have 2 tl-3b's and they leak tons of coolant everywhere. my boss wants me to make a tray for them to sit in. i guess that's what haas' solution was to the problem. i'm amazed that they have not addressed this huge design flaw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is an open TL-1 but I do want to do something about stray coolant as well.

I bought plastic rain gutters with the glue-on 90 degree end joints. I haven't assembled it yet but the plan is to have a U-shaped gutter system under the casting, from the operator side, to the right, around the corner (between the tank and the casting) then return across the back of the machine.

That'll give me a 3-4" deep sump to collect drippings. One piece has already been trimmed to fit under the front of the casting. It does a nice job collecting the drippings from the saddle and the face of the casting.

In the rear, I plan to put a rubber dam from the factory backsplash, down to the plastic rain gutter. That should contain most of it without causing damage to the cables.

The downside to this design is that it's plastic and it does stick out on the operator side. If you're not careful, you can kick it. Eventually, I'm sure the plastic will get brittle and it'll break.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The 2 worst leaks on my TM-1 were:

Just behind the y axis rails between the castings and the sheetmetal. The casting has a flat spot, and there didn't seem to be any caulking in there so I gobbed a bunch in there.

The y axis limit switch has a huge gap all around it. The Haas tech made a little shield out of a pop can (mountain dew if memory serves) and we siliconed it on the side.

This solved 70% of the leaks.

I still lose a couple gallons a day.

umm duh...

I just noticed this was a thread on a TL-1, not a TM-1...

On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking English cars.

Early English cars had a similar problem. Same engineering school? (LOL)
    Just an observation. I like poms.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uhh .... the TL's are an open machine ... they are not enclosed .... coolant will get out of an OPEN machine .. should of bought an enclosed machine if you are using alot of coolant ... I have found that where you direct your coolant works best with the open machine ... I've seen alot of creative ideas people have put on CNCZONE for all type of open machines ... Ahh I like when people use their minds and become innovative. Lets see some pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads

In all fairness, the original poster did say that it was a 'fully enclosed' TL-2.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This Machine is FULLY ENCLOSED from Haas. Typically having an enclosed machine has the purpose of keeping chips AND coolant in the machine and off of the floor. And for the $3700 dollar option that it is I think that it should work just a little better than it does.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree for the money the enclosure cost it should not make such a mess. Mine is fully loaded and for what it cost the I could have bought an SL but needed the long distance for shafts. I LOVE the machine, even though its a bit messy

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using my TL2 with the full enclosure for a few months now and did have to put in some baffles using 1/4" polycarbonate. One is above the spindle on the headstock and one behind near the back. One goes across the back of the carriage; this one stops a lot of splash out the back where there is no guard. Looking in from the end of the machine when it is running you can see the splash intercepted by this one. To mount it I used a bracket bolted onto the holes that used to hold the apron on the front of the carriage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP!  My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively-splash4-jpg   HELP!  My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively-splash3-jpg   HELP!  My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively-splash6-jpg   HELP!  My TL-2 Leaks coolant excessively-splash5-jpg  

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.