ST10/15 Turret alignment

Thread: ST10/15 Turret alignment

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ST10/15 Turret alignment

New to me machine.

Leaving nubs when facing and small drills having hell. The BOT boring bar holders ALL are 0.010" to high. The Spindle Center line is correct and there is not any run out in the X direction, but it's like the entire turret rotated on it's shaft by 0.010". In other words, when dialing in a holder, the X+ and X- at 9 and 3 o'clock is fine, its the 12 and 6 o'clock that's off.

There isn't enough offset on the cam bolt to move the holder down far enough. Haas tells you how to check alignment, but other than adjusting each cam eccentric on each position they don't mention anything else.

Does anyone know anything about the turret, can the center be loosened up and tapped into place then tightened? How does one fix?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ST10/15 Turret alignment

Maybe this will help someone out later. Evidently the machine I bought was crashed pretty bad and they went out of their way to cover it up.
    Hopefully they can salvage the Z axis Linear rails and ball screw.

https://www.haascnc.com/service/trou...eo-series.html

Downloads
    Uploads

hy shim the face tool; the boring bars can handle those 0.010", unless you are frequently boring small internal diameters, like <15mm for example, and that will be tricky even on an aligned lathe

as for drills, align a holder, and use it for coaxial operations / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I thought about it. I also thought about sticking some bar stock in the turret and using the chuck to bore a 3/4" hole, then I could use ER Collet holder for the small drills.

More cutting and testing shows it has more serious problems then just leaving a pip. It's cutting a taper as well and facing is concave. I could program around that if I "had" to but I'm not in a bind and I have several other machines I can use, so might as well fix it right. $$$$

Downloads
    Uploads

about sticking some bar stock in the turret and using the chuck to bore a 3/4" hole
    such a method may work, but is not certain

I could use ER Collet holder for the small drills
    you will hit into :
    ... play between hole you bored in the turret, and colet hoder od
    ... play beween coler holder id and collet
    ... play between collet abd tool shank
    * all those sumed up may hit arround 0.06, maybe more, maybe less ? not to count the paralelism, and others

More cutting and testing shows it has more serious problems then just leaving a pip.
    a pip is not a serios problem / just casual

It's cutting a taper as well
    if you mean taper on z axis, then :
    ... it is normal, as long as your reference part is long, and you are using a tailstock; may be from tailstock ?
    ... it is not normal if your parts is short ( means that spindle is tilted )
    by long/short, i mean L/D ratio

conical 0.03/100 should be ok; even 0.05/100

facing is concave
    that may be because spindle and/or x axis is tilted

no machine is squared, and a conical face maters more for bigger parts, so try to stick to small ones ?

you have to check spindle if is it is tilted, and x axis, if it is no longer square to z; thus find how much is tilted each one, find the value; if you wish for guidance, pls share a photo with your lathe don't worry, if machine is tilted, it can be realinged, thus is nothing to worry about mechcanical / eletrical condition

just as a side note, i can use 'skew' corections when programing, so to get arround fast with out of alignemnt lathes / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Bent Z rails, Bad Z screw, X axis was 0.018" out of square with Z. $10k later its cutting perfect.