Problem Tailstock alignment on ST-30Y

Thread: Tailstock alignment on ST-30Y

Default Tailstock alignment on ST-30Y

My ST-30Y tailstock was out of alignment by a few thou and we simply unbolted the 4 gigantic socket head cap screws, played with the 4 jack screws at the base of the casting a bit, bolted it back together and it was done. Got the same issue with the ST-20Y, only first of all the big socket head cap screws seem like they're torqued to at least 500 foot-pounds and so far we can't even break then loose. Once we do, there don't seem to be any jack screws! In the first pic (the ST-30Y) you can see there are two square cutouts in the bottom of the casting; it's the same on the opposite side. This is where the jack screws are. In the second pic there are no cutouts, and no jack screws that we can find! Yes, we've taken that cover off and there's nothing under it. The online maintenance manual for the machine shows jack screws but there just don't seem to be any! Has anyone else run across this?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tailstock alignment on ST-30Y

500 foot-pounds and so far we can't even break then loos
    hy, i don;t have exp with hass, but for some similar tailstocks i used a long wrench; may be needed to use a 2nd person to keep the allen key pressed

This is where the jack screws are. In the second pic there are no cutouts, and no jack screws that we can find
    not all models have jackwcres; unmount the big screws 1st, then perhaps it will move free / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy, i don;t have exp with hass, but for some similar tailstocks i used a long wrench; may be needed to use a 2nd person to keep the allen key pressed

not all models have jackwcres; unmount the big screws 1st, then perhaps it will move free / kindly
    I appreciate the reply but as I said the manual SHOWS the jack screws...we just don't seem to have them. And I would seriously doubt they'd expect someone to align the tailstock without 'em...it's tough enough WITH jack screws!

Downloads
    Uploads

i don't know, not a hass guy manuals don't always reflect reality

if you unscrew the big ones, is the tailstock still blocked ?

with a bit of practice, is easy even without jack screws; there are constructions with/without jacks ( for horizontal plane adjustemnt ), and with/without excentric sleeves ( for vertical plane adjustment ); sometimes is better not to have jaks, because they help on one side, but may create problems on other side / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...