2021 ST20Y Threadmilling a Bolt circle on the face

Thread: 2021 ST20Y Threadmilling a Bolt circle on the face

Default 2021 ST20Y Threadmilling a Bolt circle on the face

Wondering how hard it will be to threadmill on the face of a part. 8/32 thread .328 deep 5.5" PCD , Material 253 MA stainless. I have not tried to do this on the lathe yet.. Using Fusion to program. Any pointers ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2021 ST20Y Threadmilling a Bolt circle on the face

I was curious so I just tried it. Very easy to set up in Fusion. I used the Harvey Hole Making and Threading library to select the tool, took me a bit to find the correct tool from the list. For the operation choose Drilling, then from the Cycle tab, choose Thread Mill. Was able to generate the tool path in a few minutes. The simulation looks good.

Now putting this into actual practice on the machine might be a bit more tricky, but Fusion has pretty good post processors for Haas machines. I guess I would start out with the recommended feeds and speeds and adjust from there as needed. Buying a few extra thread mills might be a good idea. Air cuts to start with would be a good plan.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim. I have been doing it in the vf4 all day as a second op.I am about to sit down and re set it up in fusion for the lathe.
    I will look into that harvey library. i use lakeshore for tools but the numbers should work.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I was curious so I just tried it. Very easy to set up in Fusion. I used the Harvey Hole Making and Threading library to select the tool, took me a bit to find the correct tool from the list. For the operation choose Drilling, then from the Cycle tab, choose Thread Mill. Was able to generate the tool path in a few minutes. The simulation looks good.

Now putting this into actual practice on the machine might be a bit more tricky, but Fusion has pretty good post processors for Haas machines. I guess I would start out with the recommended feeds and speeds and adjust from there as needed. Buying a few extra thread mills might be a good idea. Air cuts to start with would be a good plan.

Downloads
    Uploads

NYCNC has a F360 video tutorial on threadmilling I followed it and got perfect results first try.
    Allied Machine & Engineering have a nice little guide for threadmilling they offer for free which is worth getting.

First thread was M8 metric thread 10 mm deep in ally

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au