Newbie Drill Sizing for Live Tooling

Thread: Drill Sizing for Live Tooling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drill Sizing for Live Tooling

Hi,

I've recently begun work with a company using live tooling in their HAAS DS-30. I've inherited a number of projects from previous employees in my position that I am looking to solve. While I do have some experience with programming CNC lathes, live tooling is new for me.

I need to drill & tap a 10-24 hole, using a #25 drill bit. While I can find the drills, I cannot find what should be the appropriate tool holders. Most things here are colleted, but they are also of more standard sizes. The machine has few resources attached, and I cannot seem to find recommendations on how this was done. Any advice on the best workholding methods for these "off-size" tools?

Cheers.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Drill Sizing for Live Tooling

hy

some infos :
    ... if a drill shank is :
    ...... o7.8 , o7.9, use a o8 collet
    ...... o8.1 , o8.2, use also a o8 collet, but before use the grinder to taper the shank, in order to help it guide inside the collet (*)
    ...... o7.3, o7.4, use a o7.5 collet ( there are vendors that deliver also intermediate sizes )
    ...... o7.6, o7.7, use also a o7.5 collet ( grind the taper )
    ... check attached; it's grip is < collet chuck, but still, may deliver, as long as drill is sharp and cutting specs are low; however, this is more a solution for mills
    ... if you have $$$, get a set of .1 collets, er or for quick change hydraulic heads

most non standard drill shanks are hss, but, some vendors, also deliver standard shanks not only for their carbide, but also for their hss tools / kindly

* : a o8 collet works best with a o8 tool, so, once you deviate, the collet may get, just a bit, out of spec, so, for such non standards, use a set of, lets say expandable collets; for example i have a set of collets that i use only for standard values, and whenever i have a non standard, i use a collet from a separate set; this separate set is generaly subject to more stress, since it is clamping <>0 shanks, so i use here collets with -1 range; for tools with shanks 0, i use collets with h7 range; idea behind this, is that, the larger the range, the more flexible the collet is, thus should resist abuse even if a collet range is -1, tir increases with size difference, thus lowest tir is for o8 shank inside a o8 collet, o7.9 inside o8 collet has greater tir, and so on .... that's why i recomand using a o7.5 collet for a o7.6drill, instead of a o8 collet

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill Sizing for Live Tooling-untitled-png  
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends on what collets the Haas uses. I tried to find the exact collets and it looks like there is an option for either ER or SK collets. ER collets have a gripping range of 1mm, in other words they will grip down to 1mm smaller than the size, at least for the ER-32 collets, I think the smaller ones have a smaller grip range. So for a #25 (0.149'') drill, you could use a 3/16 collet and just be in the grip range of the collet, or choose a 5/32 (0.156'') collet and be well within the grip range, a 4mm collet would work also. A 3/16 collet should fit the shank of a 10-24 machine tap.

Just as a side note, you might look at thread forming taps if appropriate for your application. A bit more robust than thread cutting taps.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all; I've put in an order for a new collet, should arrive in a day or two, and will update with how well it works.