Servo 30 amp exploded

Thread: Servo 30 amp exploded

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servo 30 amp exploded

I Hava a little HAAS ST-10 on the shop floor and one of my guys walked in today and told me that when he shut the machine down he heard a loud pop. I found that the main circuit breaker at the panel was tripped not on the machine. When I looked in the servo cabinet in the back of the lathe I saw IC components at the bottom and the X servo had let the magic black smoke out of it. Clearly, the servo looks shot because the traces are blown off the board see pictures below. My question to the group is can I just get a new servo and give it a shot or is there a test to make sure there is not a problem downstream? any advice would be appreciated

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Servo 30 amp exploded-img_2795-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo 30 amp exploded

Quote Originally Posted by inertialabs View Post
    I Hava a little HAAS ST-10 on the shop floor and one of my guys walked in today and told me that when he shut the machine down he heard a loud pop. I found that the main circuit breaker at the panel was tripped not on the machine. When I looked in the servo cabinet in the back of the lathe I saw IC components at the bottom and the X servo had let the magic black smoke out of it. Clearly, the servo looks shot because the traces are blown off the board see pictures below. My question to the group is can I just get a new servo and give it a shot or is there a test to make sure there is not a problem downstream? any advice would be appreciated
    There could be more wrong than just the drive that took a hit you will have to check the cables and the servo motor

Ask him how he has been shutting down the machine???

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There could be more wrong than just the drive that took a hit you will have to check the cables and the servo motor

Ask him how he has been shutting down the machine???
    We checked the cables and connectors all fine, so we pulled a drive card out of a 5 axis we are running as a 3 axis and fired it up, no smoke!
    Unfortunately the controller did not power up so it turned out the mag switch for main power had a cooked leg on it. Hopefully the computer was not fried and it will work when we replace the mag switch Monday

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo 30 amp exploded

I had the same thing happen to my HAAS TM1P about two weeks back. It also took out my power supply. I sent to power supply out for repair (1/3 the cost to have HAAS replace it with a rebuilt one) and now the machine is up and running other than the known fried X servo amp. I would assume yours arced to the cabinet? I removed the cheap plastic already cracked protective covering on the wires leading the the X motor. They look "visually" undamaged. The motor OHMed the same as the other Y axis and the Z axis. But this is not to say there still isn't an intermittent problem when in motion.
    Did you ever find out what was actually causing the issue, or did you just replace the servo and its not come about again?
    Would really like to chat and take up 10 min or your time before i commit to the 2K service call with HAAS just to have them swap out the servo amp and leave. Little worried it just going to pop again without actually fixing the issue.