Need Help! Lathe threading inserts

Thread: Lathe threading inserts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe threading inserts

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

We have a CNC lathe (HAAS TL2) and we have a job where we need to cut a thread on a part which is a metric M110 x 6mm thread. We've not done any threading before and I'm really struggling to find the right tool-holder/insert to do this.

We have a quick-change toolpost holder for external threading which is a Dorain Tool D35CXA-881. This takes an "on edge" type threading insert which is TNMC 32 NV. We can't seem to find any of these in the UK, let alone ones that will cut the thread we want with the 6mm pitch.

We also have a holder that takes a lie-flat type insert but the holder is 25mm x 25mm and I understand that this is too small to accept a 6mm lie-flat insert?

So we're completely stuck, can anyone offer any advise on how best to do this?

Many thanks

SJB

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe threading inserts

From looking at it, that on-edge style threading insert is somewhat generic between different manufacturers. You may want to look through some different suppliers to see if you can find other sources for the carbide.

At my job I have some internal threading bars that use that style insert, but all the inserts we have for it are 3/16" wide (4.76mm) and they're all ground to cut a thread with that minimum pitch. (5 thread per inch or ~4.75mm metric pitch). It wouldn't surprise me if the inserts were available in smaller forms, although I can't speak to it myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

sandvik holder
    266RFG-2525-22

insert
    266RG-22MM01A600M grade1125

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisarray View Post
    sandvik holder
    266RFG-2525-22

insert
    266RG-22MM01A600M grade1125
    Hello,

Thanks for those sandvik product codes, much appreciated!

I have since discovered that my quick change tool post holder actually accepts 20mm x 20mm tool holders. Looking at the sandvik nomenclature I'm thinking I need 2020-22 (where 2020 is shank h x w and the 22 is insert size). It looks like this might not exist? Is my best bet to buy the 2525 and machine down one side of the shank so it fits' in the quick change tool post holder?

Thanks

SJB

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you contacted Posi-Thread ?
    They do the correct holders and tips off the shelf
    Their contact details are
    4-5 Bridgewater Rd
    Washington
    Tyne & Wear
    NE37 2SG Tel: 0191 417 8178