Suggestions for brand new

Thread: Suggestions for brand new

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suggestions for brand new

Hey guys brand new to the cnc world. I’m looking to purchase my first cnc mill. Looking to start out doing small projects in wood or similar materials and work my way slowly into learning optic cuts on slides primarily but also slightly more advanced cuts. Currently this won’t be a production business more a hobby that I hope to grow over time. If anyone has the knowledge base to recommend fairly inexpensive ~$2000 beginner cnc mill that will do what I’m looking for as in cutting slides on handguns that would be awesome. Like I stated I only know very little from the research I’ve done (ie youtube, this forum, various websites) so ideally a cnc that isn’t incredibly difficult to write code for would be ideal but this is something I plan to put a lot of time into so the capability of the machine is more of a concern than anything.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for brand new

Almost all CNC machines use G-code, and 3 axis G-code is pretty much standard with some small differences machine to machine. Doesn't really matter if it is a milling machine, router, or even a lathe. Easy to program is not really an issue, they are all about the same.

As far as a $2000 machine, that is another issue. When doing precision metal work, rigidity is required, and this means mass as well as machine design. About the closest mill that is close to your budget might be the Taig micro mills. https://taigtools.com/product-catego...c-micro-mills/ A bit light in my opinion, but a pretty decent machine that would do the work that you describe.

Another machine that would be in the ballpark if you can find a used one is an EMCO Concept 50 or 55. A very high quality machine, these sold new for around $25,000, but I have seen them on the used market in your budget range. But plan on upgrading the electronics, not a big deal.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

You will not be cutting slides with a $2000 "beginner" CNC. UNLESS you get some really old machine with "good bones" at a surplus sale. However a small desktop machine would be good for learning. You can find used functional machines in the 10k range that will be fine for cutting metal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tyxjones View Post
    Hey guys brand new to the cnc world. I’m looking to purchase my first cnc mill. Looking to start out doing small projects in wood or similar materials and work my way slowly into learning optic cuts on slides primarily but also slightly more advanced cuts. Currently this won’t be a production business more a hobby that I hope to grow over time. If anyone has the knowledge base to recommend fairly inexpensive ~$2000 beginner cnc mill that will do what I’m looking for as in cutting slides on handguns(maybe some detailing on rifle chassis) that would be awesome. Like I stated I only know very little from the research I’ve done (ie youtube, this forum, various websites) so ideally a cnc that isn’t incredibly difficult to write code for would be ideal but this is something I plan to put a lot of time into so the capability of the machine is more of a concern than anything.
    2000$ is a bit low, can't really think of anything except Taig(one that Jim mentioned). Everything else I can remember from top of my head gonna be much more expensive.