Need serious help. Runaway axis on power up. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need serious help. Runaway axis on power up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need serious help. Runaway axis on power up.

They do make a 12VDC coil relay, all common voltages are available. A better way might to be to build a proper E stop circuit outside of the system, by adding another set of contacts to the E stop switch and keeping the two systems completely separate. The original will do whatever it is doing, then the additional contact would actually kill power to the drive power. That way you could use 115V to energize the relay.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What type of control-relay circuit is one push button switch, push it once and 115vac come on and push it again and it goes off. I could mount it side by side and then If I had to hit them both. Another words leave the Estop as it is, but be able to disconnect the HV by pushing a button. I am asking, because I have never installed a relay type circuit. I think that when I buy the switch setup there will be a wiring diagram, Thanks Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand it can be a little overwhelming trying to wire up a system the first time. But in reality, it's just like wiring up a light switch, where instead of the light bulb, you have a relay coil. For a commercial or industrial application I would add another relay and require another button push to energize the power. For home shop use, this will work.

Turn the switch on (twist and pull out), the relay coil energizes, turn the switch off (push in) the relay coil de-energizes.

If your E stop switch is not identifiable, then the best way would be to buy one that is known, and you are able to get contact blocks (the actual switching part) for. It is possible that your existing E stop switch already has two separate contact blocks, and that one of them is not being used at all. You would have to look and maybe post a picture or two.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...inated/GCX1131

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ocks/ECX1030-2

One contact block would be wired as original, the other would go to the relay, two completely separate control circuits controlled by one switch.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then please get some qualified help before proceeding.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to leave the Red estop switch like it is. Beside it maybe one just like it for the HV. Would it even require a relay? Yes, feel OK wiring, as long as I have a schematic, after all I wired the whole machine. I just haven't any experience with a coiled relay. Never needed one. Bob.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK

If the the new E stop switch will handle the power (current) of the servo power supply, then no, you wouldn't need a relay. But the problem is that most of them won't handle that much current. There are some E stop switches that are designed to handle motor loads, so those would work.

Here is an example
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC...hoCSCcQAvD_BwE

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now we are talkin. Here is one rated at 35 amps, overkill but will work. I will try to get a picture of it here. Thanks, you have made my day. Bob.Need serious help. Runaway axis on power up.-powertec-specialty-power-tool-accessories-71008-64_1000-a

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, thanks for all of your help. So far, I have had no runaways since I make sure that I am into Mach3 page before I plug in the HV supply, I hope that solved the problem, so a switch will be installed, thanks again, Robert Brown.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's always a pleasure to help out where we can. Happy to hear you have it under control.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Remember I said "so far", well I go out and ran a successful program, jogs worked , everything worked. I go out an hour later and after Mach3 is booted tried to plug the HV in and nothing but sparks at the plug. I found two loose connections on one cap. re crimped them, isolated the HV from the system and then plugged it in to a different 20 amp circuit and it didn't pop the breaker, also fired up the computer and that is OK. At first I had everything on one 20 amp breaker and I am thinking with the loose wires and the fact that it was on one breaker the surge of the HV was too much, so when the caps dissipate, I am going to try it again and see what happens. I will let you know. I guess that I have to be smarter than the machine, and that is a challenge for me. Bob.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Everything is fine for now, must have been overloading one plug and loose wires on the caps, ok for now, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12