HDPE question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDPE question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HDPE question

Do keep in mind that the static charge that is almost always induced will likely lead to a film of dust that you will struggle to see through.I have often felt the hairs on my arm raise when it was close to an extractor duct.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever tried wiping it down with a Bounce fabric softener sheet? I have to occasionally had to use a Bounce sheet on the cover of my automatic powder measure when reloading. Sometimes it gets a static charge built up & flake powders cling to the cover.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Do keep in mind that the static charge that is almost always induced will likely lead to a film of dust that you will struggle to see through.I have often felt the hairs on my arm raise when it was close to an extractor duct.
    Some wood mills off like grinding dust instead of sawdust or chips. These are 'found' woods which I can't identify but end up in my collection of stock. For the materials I usually cut the acrylic stays clear and in winter this house is dry enough that the cat doesn't like to be petted. There's a ground wire running inside the hose connecting the router to the dust collector, not sure if that makes any difference.

As far as flame polishing goes, I've only done edges. Some sites suggest only extruded acrylic should be flame polished.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so I tried boiling the HDPE & it's worse than what it was. I'm going to flip it over & try it again.

I think instead of worrying about machining & then polishing I'm going to use some 3/8" clear acrylic that I already have to create a dust shoe similar to the CNCRP shoe then using an adapter to attach the dust collector hose via a press in fit & machine in a pinch clamp like used on a few dust shoes on youtube. My question is will I be able to screw the threaded insert into the acrylic or would I be better off tapping the acrylic? I'm not sure if the acrylic will expand like the HDPE does or if it would crack.

Thank you & Merry Christmas
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Tap the acrylic, it doesn't expand at all, much like glass.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I've changed my mind again in stead of reinventing the wheel I just ordered a kent cnc dust shoe with a 3" brush and additional 2" brush as well as a 1/2" spacer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12