Natural Stone Fabrication w A CNC

Thread: Natural Stone Fabrication w A CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Natural Stone Fabrication w A CNC

I have been running my Z.Bavelloni EGAR 320 CNC in a natural stone fabrication shop for 2 years now.

The shop ... 6 to 8 kitchens a day. as of 8 15 03

All of the Undermount Sink cutouts are done on the CNC... I have maxed out at 30 UM Sinks in a 11 hour timeframe... You will be hard pressed to find anyone who can put an undermount in a rock in the right place w a CNC... centered, setback, and sink lip overhang within 1 mm to target.

Profiling: We do a lot of lamination. Not just 3cm... 2 1/4" thick OG Bullnose edges look especially trick on radiused islands!

It is fun

Thoth

Similar Threads:

Default lets see

Pictures, web page, dazel use with bling bling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help!

thoth,

I am in the same business. CNC (Intermac Jet) with a stealth and manufacturing 3cm natural stone. However, I cannot boast such impressive results. Any help would be appreciated.

Most problems are with milling. My finger bits just can't cut. What's the secret? Speed?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Natural Stone Milling AKA UM Sinks

Mike,

I have found out how to mill at exceptional speeds... Like 10 minutes once the stone is set on the CNC cutting/milling time
    in a soft 3cm stone because I have had no choice... I have to do all of the under mount sink cuts and profiling of some of them here @ the shop.... We are averaging 6 to 8 kitchens a day.

The best Mill/finger bits in my opinion are the Z.Bavelloni Mill/finger bits... Contact KC kclark@zbavusa.com Bavs main # 336 299 8300. I use the 60mm and 40 mm mills that they sell.

Believe me I have tried many other brands.... Bav's are the best... they wear eveanly and some last for as many as 15 UM Cuts!!!
    Good price too.

Now... Get the tools...
    Then... CAM Setup of the mill...
    Spindle speed. Run it @ 6K... no more. Use the int. and ext. water
    Cutting...
    Run the cut path as fast as you can... without breaking the particular stone, getting the mill too hot or pushing the stone arround on the suction cups... I fabed up some table brackets and I bolt them down arround the stone as well as suction from the cups so as to keep the rock from sliding everywhere... Especially on the hard stones like absolute black 3 cm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

30 UM in 11 hours...lol doubt it........maybe cutting Carrera, not granite...15 UM's is average with one tool

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Breton 350,30 um's of 2210s possible with no edges,and double sets on the tables.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I correct myself......on the discussion of tool wear with a particular type of mill called the goldfinger I can run a mill through about 20+ bowl cutouts before changing tools....on production totals in one day ...if I am "on" I will bang out 30 k2210 Ums in 4 hours ;oP If you give me 8 hours...triple stacked on the table and edges complete, with tops located on template I could probably give you 45+....in the regular Doubel UM category I have pushed upwards of 15 double UMS in ones shift of 10 hours (setuptime included) with no breakages......that was on one machine.....I have worked two Egars at a time before and then you just start putting up ridiculous numbers!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i run an intermac 1500 open top now and i can get about a week and a half out of a fingerbit.. on the average of 13 parts a day, about 8 sinks perday

i use the gold fingerbit as well.... dont use the black they suck for stone,, they have a habit of shearing off inside the cone,, then you need to buy another cone...

let me ask you guys a question,, are you using any sharpening stones on the mills to bring out the diamonds after they wear a little?

"seabee"

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

intermac masterstone 4000 here. and i believe that this guy is right with his sink production. I did a hotel job 2 weeks ago, and I ended up doing 11 double bowls in my 10 hour shift. I use a Viper Elite Series 1/2 gas thread from Braxton-Bragg corporation and i can run it usually for a while unless we do black absolute or bamboo green.

were doing 2000 sq feet a week in our corporation alone, and will only increace, in the next few weeks. We just bought a Loffler and that thing is frickin sweet!!!

I believe its not what tooling you have, its how efficent you can set up the pieces and run the software. But then again, it never hurts to have good equipment lol

Chris Spangler
    Nonn's Flooring Granite Dept.
    Prairie Du Sac, Wisconsin
    Intermac Master Stone 4000
    Got Stone?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool guess what I got (hehe)

Greetings! Newbie to this cool site!
    I have just completed "training " on a Z Bavelloni EGAR 450N, HUGE BEASTIE!
    I used to work in a metal machine/fab shop so I'm not exactly a novice at fabrication with a cnc. But in those days it was all lines of code, now I have this state of the art EASYCAD and CAM program that really make setup a snap.
    SO! the first peice my boss asks me to do is an hourglass shaped tubdeck cutout and polish to A PROFILE (3/8" ease). We also have a digitizer wich we are still in the learning process on but moral of the story is that the elements all came together with that cursed red box, inicating an angle not a radius. There were over 50 radius elements in the template, lots of red dots.

Now I realize that you're supposed to set a radius in each angle but HERE"S the catch: the radii were so large that putting a 3" radius in each one would not work so I had to choose various sizes.

THEN I go into CAM after spending 4 hours on making this drawing pretty, perfect, and angle free when it computes the radius path< tool path ok one error no prob

So I go back and set minimum radius size first 3 then 4 then 10 then 20
    none work BUT when I did all 20 I got a new more sinister error
    radius too LARGE!!!!!!!!
    is there such a thing??????
    Frustrated to death we decided to do it by hand after all, cut out on WIZARD
    (manual cnc my boss calls it)
    had it done in 6 hours

PLEASE TELL ME HOW A RADIUS CAN BE TOO LARGE for a 22mm mill (fingerbit)

THOTH-I thought I'd heard the 320 ran easycad as well, any ideas?
    prob something very simple I overlooked, but ran outta time.

CONVEX SAW ROOOOOCCCCKKKKS!!!!!

thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by cnckiller; 08-12-2006 at 12:21 AM. Reason: another question to add to post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I have been running my Z.Bavelloni EGAR 320 CNC in a natural stone fabrication shop for 2 years now.

The shop ... 6 to 8 kitchens a day. as of 8 15 03

All of the Undermount Sink cutouts are done on the CNC... I have maxed out at 30 UM Sinks in a 11 hour timeframe... You will be hard pressed to find anyone who can put an undermount in a rock in the right place w a CNC... centered, setback, and sink lip overhang within 1 mm to target.

Profiling: We do a lot of lamination. Not just 3cm... 2 1/4" thick OG Bullnose edges look especially trick on radiused islands!

It is fun

Thoth
    i tend to stick to a 1/64" (just under 1/2 mm ) accuracy with my machining, autocad + interCAD/stoneCAM on two intermac JET cnc's.. silestone, granite, marble and soapstone... i know that by at that point it doesnt matter but im a little OCD about accuracy.