Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408

I am in the process of buying my first cnc router for mostly cabinet work.
    Came across a used Gerber Sabre with vacuum board and 7,5 kw vacuum fan. Would be most grateful for some advice about if this is a better buy than a new (entry level) cnc. Asking price is $ 18k but I think it can come down to 15k. It runs on a computer with Artpath 7. Used only for 90 degree trough cuts. They said it cant run 2,5D.
    My concerns are these:

1. What parts do I need to change for the machine to run with modern software 2,5 and 3D? Or can it be done with new software alone?
    2. The circle I had them run (see image) is not totally cut. Where the bit enters and leaves there is a piece left. Does this indicate that the ballscrews are worn out?
    3. Is it better to put the money on a new for instance, EZ-router than to fix this one up?

It is tempting to go with this one as it looks to be of sturdy industrial quality and has a vacuum table.

Thanks for any advice!
    I Eriksson
    Woodworker in Sweden

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070438-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070441-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070443-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070447-jpg  

Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070449-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-p1070456-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1. If cabinet work, why 2.5/3D?
    2. Machine is fine, what you see is remnant of circle being freed from host material without circle being held down adequately (learning tricks with vacuum will cure that, no problem).
    3. Tough call, used car/new car.

Machine looks in good shape, seen a couple of Gerbers that looked worse than that, and they performed. Looks like a decent spindle. Not familiar with E-Z routers, if they are Chinese made, it would be an easy decision for me. In this economy thinking you might pick up the Gerber cheaper than you think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply!
    Great to hear that the ballscrews probably are OK.
    2,5 and 3D is on my wish list as I would like to be able to make some nice carvings to add value. And as I think it can widen my span of customers.
    And from what I have seen and tested with the newer software they are so much more user friendly that the older ones.
    The main question though: can the machine move all three axis at the same time just with new software?

Downloads
    Uploads

gerber has a propietary software system geared heavily toward signmakers.

you will not be compatable with aspire, vcarve or most reasonable 3d softwares and may find limitations as you go forward with this. i will say ez router has mach three and the world is a little more open, camaster sells the 4x8 with a spindle and vectric vcarve included for under 20.000 and it comes with wincnc industrial controller

i have two of them

jim mcgrew

James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Erikson,
    I worked for a Gerber distributor for for over ten years. Started with the system 48 to the Sabre line. You will not be disappointed in the Gerber Sabre. It is an absolutely solid system. The price you are paying is well worth it. That system was originally probably close to $60,000.

I still have alot of manuals etc on the sabre in my garage. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help. Send me a PM if you want and I'll give you my email.

-Jimmy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To answer your question: Yes the Sabre moves in all three directions at the same time. It is a true 3D system.

Downloads
    Uploads

most all cnc's will move in three axis at the same time, this is not an indicator of 3d. there is no issue with me that the gerber is a good router, seen plenty of em! in this day and economy they are readily available at prices that are unheard of. i would advise what ever you get told private to bring it back here, even consider the ez router they have a good unit!

while the gerber is a excellent and expensive router they are virtually unheard of in the woodworking world and out side of 2d letter cutting and expensive artcam software sign making due to the propietary controller.

jim

Downloads
    Uploads

if that router is what you are looking for it probably is worth 18

Downloads
    Uploads

ping, how are you coming on your router? my hope is you were not contacted privately to purchase a chinese router from the northeast US like i was. the gerber is a fine router just make sure you have followed thru on software and approved by gerber. i also found i had the manual for the sabre
    but at 1+ mb i cannot load it here,

jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your concern cabnet,
    No, I will not buy a chinese router and if I would, there is distributors here in Sweden. Only reason for importing from USA is that the machine is made in USA.

But something came up just today. Mentioned to a friend about my plans for CNC and he instantly came up with several very special products that he wanted me to manufacture.
    To make them I need to buy a sturdy machine capable of very precise 3D routing and a 4th axis.

When I think about it, it should be better to buy the whole package at once. In that way the manufacturer is responsible for the function from start. Table, spindle, 4 servos and software.
    So there goes another bunch of $$.

Do you guys have any experience of work with the 4th axis?
    Is it much more complicated to set up the software for cutting?

Downloads
    Uploads

the company who builds my machine is pretty well versed in 4rth axis, i am posting a forum where 4rth axis is well disscussed, there is another fellow here on the forum "guy mathew's" who i have had do files for me
    , he post in the camaster section as well as cam heads

jim

www.camaster.com

http://www.camheads.org/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-dcp_2083-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-dcp_2172-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-dcp_2880-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gerber sabre

The only reason that the 408 won't rout 2.5D is because the owner didn't buy the program for it. ArtPath will do 2D toodpaths. AutoCarve 3D is Gerber's program for V carving (2.5D). To run non-Gerber software like V-carve Pro for true 3D, you have to go change the parameters in Set-up on the control panel. You can switch from Gerber to G-code there.

For most of your routing, ArtPath and AutoCarve will be sufficient. For design, Gerber's Omega software is designed to run seamlessly with the machine. I have been using Corel Draw for the last 10 years succesfully with ArtPath and AutoCarve. Saving the Corel file as a CMX will allow it to be read by ArtPath.

Software and upgrades for the 408 can be purchased at http://gspinc.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Done deal

Its, done!
    I am the owner of a used Gerber Sabre 408. $15k was the price (excl deductible tax). Now, all it takes is to "pick it up" well, load it to a trailer and install in my new shop. Had to move to be able to start with CNC.
    Cant wait to start my self studies. Hope to be able to switch the CAM-sw to Deskproto. And V-carve Pro seems to be a good choice too.

Thanks to all you guys for your help in this matter!
    I.Eriksson

Downloads
    Uploads

you will probably have to retrofit the controller to another to run vectric's software.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try to find something that works first. Read that it's possible to change to G-code in the control panel. I also need to check out Gerbers Omega pack to see if it's good value for the money.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ping-

Here is a link that tells how to run G-code on a Sabre:

http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/s...hp?news_id=120

Downloads
    Uploads

my daughter operates a gerber 408 in NC for a sign company, this router has been a standard of great in the sign business for many years, there is no issue with the quality of the router, i hope all works well for you and i hope you will keep us up on how this works as software comes into the picture!

welcome to cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Obviously, there are people here whose only goal is to get you to buy their router.

You can sleep well knowing you bought a very stable router system. You can use Artcam, Vectric etc.. We worked with James Booth years ago when he was with artcam and we were always playing around on the sabre.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to help you.

Downloads
    Uploads

sorry no cnc salesman here just an end user who is greatful for his machine, i was on the phone with james yesterday he did this file for me for our vicar who is leaving the church and i wanted to do something for him. i am also including a thread direct from vectric which is some good reading about gerbers controller, ping came and stated he wanted to do cabinetwork and 3d, he expressed an interest in vectrics software with gerber he is limited to artcam ($10.000) the rest of us are enjoying aspire ($2000.00) ping also asked about cabinet work, again great router, designed and sold by a company heavily vested in the sign business, limited controller

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...0&hilit=gerber

james has done a few files for me lately, heres another

jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-st-stephens-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-img_3629-jpg   Grateful for advice about used Gerber Sabre 408-img_3652-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Will check for G-code option

I a grateful for all input. And I have come to understand that the CNC-business is very much about recommending and getting kick backs. It's a lot of money involved. And of course this may tend to do the recommendations biased one way or the other. I don't know if its the same with software but maybe all the 30 days trial versions does away with that.

Anyway, I will bring my router home, install and check for the "switch to G-code" option. (Thanks Alaska Biff) If it is there I think all is fine. Read that a lot of people runs Gerber Sabres with different software in that mode.

If its not there, I guess Ill have to go with the proprietary stuff. But 10K???
    How much is Artcam Insignia? The express is 1250 I guess.
    Lets hope for the G-code option..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast