Need computer cable for Gerber dimension 200 or pinout diagram for cable.

Thread: Need computer cable for Gerber dimension 200 or pinout diagram for cable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need computer cable for Gerber dimension 200 or pinout diagram for cable.

Hello all.

I recently picked up a Gerber Dimension 200 router that seems to be complete except someone cut the cable that connects the computer to the control box and the 9 pin side of the cable is missing.
    if someone knows a place to buy a new cable or has a Gerber 200 that they would be willing to check the pin configuration (only 3 wires are connected)
    it would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to test this unit out before taking on the task of converting.

Thanks,

Matt S.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need computer cable for Gerber dimension 200 or pinout diagram for cable.

with only 3 wires connected to the 9 way connecter it could be a simplified version of this

9-Way.Pin...... to 25-Way Pin
    DB9 ................DB25 ...............Signal
    1 ................8 .......................DCD............. Data Carrier Detect
    2 ................3 ........................RXD .......... Received Data
    3 ................2 ........................TXD ................Transmitted Data
    4 ...............20 ........................DTR .......Data Terminal Ready
    5 ................7 ....... .............Signal Ground
    6 ................6 .......................DSR .........Data Set Ready
    7 ...............4 .......................RTS ................Request To Send
    8 ................5 .......................CTS ................Clear To Send
    9 ...............22 ..........................RI .................Ring Indicator

possibly this is what your looking for
    a simple crossover serial cable with no hand shaking

9-Way. Pin ......to 25-Way Pin
    DB9 ................DB25 Signal

2 ................3 .......RXD .......... Received Data
    3 ................2 .......TXD ................Transmitted Data

5 ................7 ....... Signal Ground

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need computer cable for Gerber dimension 200 or pinout diagram for cable.

Thanks for the fast input John.

The simple crossover looks promising as the wires are connected on the 25 pin side are going to pins 2, 3, and 7 I am going to get a 9 pin connector and try it out this weekend.
    I will get back to the forums once I give it a go.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only experience I have with Gerber is with their photoplotter file format for making PCBs; so take this with appropriate grains of salt... but...

What port does it connect to on the PC side? If it's a standard PC serial port; then yeah; it's going to be a standard PC pinout. If it's an otherwise unlabeled card; you might see if you can read any of the chip numbers on it and look them up; and then trace the connections from the port on the card to the chip that does the communication. It may turn out to be just a standard serial port card; or the connections may be obvious from the datasheet of the chip (i.e, this one goes to ground, that one's an input here, and on the router side it's an output, so they've gotta be connected).

P.s. Why do people have to rip cables out, when they could just unplug them? I see this on surplus equipment often... it's like they are deliberately trying to make the next guy's life harder.